CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Intake tube!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake tube!!!

I don't think that we're able to do too much carb stuff in that R&R along with all the fuel changes start to become time consuming. I think that we are at about 3hrs now. More Vegas riders have sent me PM's wanting to take part. Depending on what dyno we use, we are looking better and better. I'll call Mario today and let him know the latest.

I don't think that we're going to be going back and forth between Alky and gas. To do it right, you need to go through an alky system after it's used. We probably wont have that time.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Air
Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

The 04 intakes are not as thin as the one on my 00. I do not believe they will collapse. they have more reinforcing rings around them. I ordered 1 friday. less than 25 dollars.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

The collasping tube was the reason most went to the carb mount filter. What other 'little things' are different on the new ds'?

Old 02-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

There's been huge development in many quads' air intake systems. The Pro-Flow air induction systems that are out there use larger sized K&N filters (which just also happen to be less money) to increase air flow. With the aid of a billet coupler, those filters can now mate up to the stock tube (if its strong enough) or substitute tubes, such as poly, carbon fiber or even metal. The larger the draw of air, the more need there will be for bigger filters, and firm air tubes.

Old 02-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

that what I think. I did order a new tube and it should be here by Wed or so. The proto-type that I made is 2 1/2 exhaust tubing. Bends weren't tough, just took some calmness..... If it works, the next will be in Aluminum or Stainless. I haven't thought about a poly/soft tube. that would be pretty easy as well, and wouldn't require any bends. If it works, I'll post pics and dimensions for everyone. Not looking to make money, just make a little power! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'll keep you all informed.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

I have thought about making a tube out of fiberglass, any ideas on size/shape? I thought if I put a plenum near the carb and ?? The shape and design is only limited to space available inside the frame, maybe there is a shape better than a round tube.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

Originally posted by: SpinCycle
I have thought about making a tube out of fiberglass, any ideas on size/shape? I thought if I put a plenum near the carb and ?? The shape and design is only limited to space available inside the frame, maybe there is a shape better than a round tube.
I believe the shape of the stock tube is correct. You want it larger on the filter end than the carb end. If its not larger on the filter end, you wont get the effect you need to produce the power you need. If I were you, I would try and emulate the stock tube.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

I also have a new '04 tube on the way from the dealer.

BigDaddy - how did you make the tube you fabbed taper? I was picturing two halves made from sheet metal then welded together along the length to get the taper from 4 to 2 inches, like exhaust megaphones are made. how did you do it with straight pipe?

Old 02-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default Intake tube!!!

Im thinking of rolling one out of 1/8" aluminum and seam welding it. Could be made to fit to stock air box, or with a mount to the frame for filter only to eliminate the airbox for non CV carbs, or for larger filter and opening for even more flow? (less restriction?)

I believe theres a slight offset bend in the tube, but i think it could be cut and welded into the tube fairlly eassilly. Maybe a project for next week?