CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

copper head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default copper head gasket

Since samcoe is no longer in business, I don't have access to any more 103mm head gaskets in the paper/metal variety, they always worked great . TVI supplied me with a 103mm copper head gasket and the instructions are to coat with gaskacinch and bolt it down.
Question - I've heard and read of copper head gaskets failing and I'm a little concerned since I do plan on running pretty good cylinder pressure. Does anyone have any experiance with copper head gasket? What are your views? should I just send it out and go ahead and get it o-ringed? I'd prefer not to o-ring it if I don't have to but I don't want to be pulling the head any more than I absolutely have to. It takes twice as long to pull the head as it used to with all the turbo stuff in the way now.
any actual experiance would be good
thanks

Old 02-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

I can't get my copper one to hold on my 720 (It has blown 3 times) so I am switching to the Cometic tripple layer. I ran that one on my Sam Coe kit and it seemed to work better.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

and it's always been my understanding that a head gasket should always be installed dry. No sealer, no gasket maker etc....

Old 02-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Curtis, Call Cometic and they will make up a triple layer gasket for you just like the one Samcoe and Pami were using. They will make it for you in a 103mm if they don't have it already, they are very accommodating. Also use Pliobond or Yamabond. The Gaskasinch I haven't had very good luck with and as everyone knows mie had the worst head gasket failures of them all!!! The best setup is that New Cometic Triple layer with Pliobond, Guranteed!!!

Old 02-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

If it still leaks after I change the gasket then I will admit that I was wrong. FYI, My head was shaved when I was running the Cometic gasket on my old kit and it did not leak.

Old 02-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i run copper on both my machines, with the gasacinch, no problems, the 720 is o-ringed, and i would go that way for sure.

Old 02-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for all the replies guys!

Old 02-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Are you re-torq'ing the head after the intial fire up and then at least once more after a few more cycles? I have experiance with copper head gaskets in supercharged automotive as well as motorcycle applications. Re-torq'ing is a must. I would also use copper coat on the gasket. It must be very clean as well...

Old 02-21-2004, 04:31 AM
Pro Rider

Been running copper head gaskets with gasacinch for a while now-no problems.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have the 10mm head bolt upgrade, stainless O-ring'd cylinder, copper head gasket w/aluminum radiator paint, re-surfaced head, and still have problems sealing head (stock bore).

I noticed that I keep losing head bolt torque. I torqued to 55lbs, but after 1 afternoon of riding the torque is now 40-45lbs. What can be done to keep bolts torqued?

An afternoon or two is all I can get out of a head gasket. Once it leaks, re-torqing doesn't always fix it.

When the head was re-surfaced, a rough finish (bunch of lines) was left on the head. You can just barely feel it. But, I can see where combustion was leaking through the fine lines. I think I need to have the lines sanded out.

Can the 10mm long studs be upgraded to 12mm?

I'll probably try the cometic triple layer SS gasket w/Pliobond.

I need to have my O-ring checked out. It was loose in one area and tight elsewhere when I had it installed. It looked like the groove was not cut uniformly and also might not be high enough above the surface.

If I can find an expert, I might have them look at my head and cylinder to diagnose the root of the problem once and for all. It is a pain replacing the head gasket with the turbo setup, and even re-torquing.

Quick Reply: copper head gasket