CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Vortex CDI

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortex CDI

I'm hoping I will notice a good difference when I get the carb in.

Old 02-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vortex CDI

Anyone with a vortex cdi think they got in over their head? It the unit easy to work with?

Old 02-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vortex CDI

The max power mode is way better than stock, but some other aftermarkets are probably just as good.

I like the vortex for trail riding. I can dial some raw power off the motor for more controlled slides on the hard pack. This is important as one side of the trail normally drops 50-100ft.

Over my head? Yep, about $150 over to be precise. But I love it because I can adjust the traction. In the sand, it stays on max power.

jbt

Old 02-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vortex CDI

For those who know, how does the max power compare to the Woods cdi? Is it enough to upgrade?

Old 02-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Vortex CDI

Originally posted by: DSengineer
I remember some others reporting this as well a couple monts back. While other reported there was a definate change in RPM.
Something isn't right here. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?
Yes I contacted Vortex in AU. They were not very supportive. They said they are sure the CDI was working corectly when they shipped it to the dealer and that the dealer must have programmed it wrong. Bad support if you ask me. There could be a problem with the unit and they will not even consider that as a possibility.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vortex CDI

Originally posted by: ScoobyDFW
Originally posted by: DSengineer
I remember some others reporting this as well a couple monts back. While other reported there was a definate change in RPM.
Something isn't right here. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?
Yes I contacted Vortex in AU. They were not very supportive. They said they are sure the CDI was working corectly when they shipped it to the dealer and that the dealer must have programmed it wrong. Bad support if you ask me. There could be a problem with the unit and they will not even consider that as a possibility.
Scooby,

What does the dealer say? To me, it would seem thats why you have a dealer for support on these issues. The problem is either the curves or the CDI/switch and cables. If you purchased the unit from the same dealer that programmed it, then I don't understand why your dealer cant figure out what the problem is. But, I can see finger pointing going on if a different company programed it. To me, it sounds like a classic, software vs hardware problem.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Vortex CDI

Last I recall Scooby was having trouble with the company who sold it to him. Perhaps it's time to contact another dealer to re-program it? I think I can see why Vortex would be telling Scooby the unit works - the ATV does fire, so the CDI is working, it's highly possible that when the unit has bad programming it sets all the curves to a known 'safe' or default curve.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vortex CDI

Scooby, Is there anyway you can test another default Votex for the DS? To see if that works on your quad? That way you know for 100% that it is the CDI.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Vortex CDI

the dealer doesn't have half a brain and has terrible support. the dealer says the motor must be under load to see a difference when switching curves. this is crap, all you need to do is make sure the RPM is high enough. the unit was programmed by the dealer i bought it from.

who else will program vortex CDI's in the US if i give them the curves? i think i'm better off having another dealer program it, but it will cost me to do that, and if the same problem exists afterwards and it is a hardware issue then what do i do?

mudstud, that experiment was done by other DS owners so i know it's the CDI.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vortex CDI

I think Duncan Racing is the US distributor for them, might give them a call and see what they can do for ya.

Are you sure your not switching between two curves that are timed about the same at that RPM?

Quick Reply: Vortex CDI