CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Intake tube - last update, I promise

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake tube - last update, I promise

OK guys, I don't get it. As long as there are no restrictions to the air flow of the carb in question, how does the size or shape of an intake tube get any hp gains? If the existing system, ie;K&N direct carb filter flows enough air to satisfy the carb's requirements, the biggest intake tube in the world should not improve the performance. Is the carb too small for the displacement and you are using a ram effect? It sounds more like there is a problem getting enough air with the current popular K&N set-up and utilizing an intake tube and re-jetting is just masking the problem. I may be missing the point. Are you changing the intake manifold characteristics. That should change the torque numbers and curve and may provide hp gains, but I don't know if that is what you are working with. Bear with an old man and his questions, but I am really interested in what you are doing.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cardiac, It could be in part what Hightower said and a tube may help with turbulance.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

CARDIAC, I remember raceing Tonys (punisher) 720 w/ lighter pilot,Was that you? Do you remember a yellow DS w/ big lights on left hand side of hill, I was ahead of the one pilot pretty good (seemed to be near my weight) 225lbs. But when you guys put a lighter pilot on You came much closer to me.... Do you remember?... We raced at night...I will be at Dumont 13-14 this month, I hope to see some good competition out there.

Old 03-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Annililator, I remember your quad. Very fast. I don't remember who was riding my DS when you raced the first time, but I think it was my son Matt, about 190lbs. He also raced you the next time. There wasn't anybody else smaller. MY other son is about 250 like me. He may have raced you once, but was having trouble getting out of the hole. I though my DS did pretty well with full plastics, full body armour, desert tool kit and 5 gals of fuel. Might have to go on a diet and try again. lol

Old 03-02-2004, 01:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

ds and diet good things[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Cardiace, yea when you think about the direct mount K&N you think that it just can't get any better. In reality the aire is kind of tumbling in. A longer/smoother run tends to let air velocity increase as it travels. Now smoothing is one thing but going down a path that is gradually decreasing is another. You actually gain velocity as you compress the same amount of air. Thus the stock intake tube. The only real problem with the stock tube is that it's not rigid enough. ESPECIALLy when you have a bike like Mario/Annihilator. Although Mario has found that the newest snorkle from BOMBARDIER isn't collapsing so easy - thank goodness.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I think w/ enough re-enforcement it holds up, Bigdaddy is right about snorkle, Mr. Hp sent me a newer version of snorkle, I compared it w/ the 2000 model.(big difference) Besides I will run 10 hose clamps before I hit the dunes anyways..LOL.. Mike- call me tomorrow, I should make it down to the speedway to ring this things neck.

Cardiac, Your bike is a strong runner, Congradulations on the deal you got...(I almost bought it), ... The first time I ran you I really under estimated you out of the hole, I learned to drop the hammer every time when running you/ also, your bike seemed a bit faster this time then when Tony had it... ... Good way to dial in the bikes by gearing and other changes to see what works best. I try to come back faster every time, and Im sure you do to...I will be testing new things next time out...