CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

help with jettings and cdi

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with jettings and cdi

hi all and how are you and i want to know some thing if i swetch from the in box k&n filter to the direct mount k&n on stock carb for DS baja 2002 do i have to change the main jet and rise it up or steck with the in box k&n and which one will give me more power from bottom to top ends .

and im thinking of geting a cdi maiby the alba or the big gun is thear any difrance between them and can i use the cdi with stock valves with stock springs and stock cams and wont damage the engine .

Old 02-29-2004, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

From what i could gather from misterH.P's last dyno session, u are proberly better off using the airbox filter with the lid on.He also got more h.p. buy running your snorkel tubes down your frame instead of under your gas tank......a cdi wont hurt your engine as long as it has a rev limiter....trust me , u need a rev limiter, it save u tons of money for one little oopsy.

Old 02-29-2004, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the vortex cdi. It can be set at any rpm u want. Try mark at www.on-dunes.com

Old 02-29-2004, 02:45 AM
Range Rover

so can you show me some pic of the snorkel tubes and where to relocate them at and for the cdi i dont want to spend that much on the vertex cdi im thinking eather alba or big gun and is thear any difrance in them and wich one has the highest rpm rang and more power .

Old 02-29-2004, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

I dont think those two cdi's have a rev limiter in them i think they are just to eliminate the rev to max power. You could see many problems with this if ur quad is stock, u might have problems in the long run. They both should be the same because they are both rev limiters, it is just whatever u prefer. I dont know anything about the snorkles, i took mine off and just mounted my air filter on my carb.

Old 02-29-2004, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

If u do go with running ur snorkles down the side of the frame be sure to put a panty hose over the end of the snorkles. This just helps to keep sand,dirt,mud, and whatever u ride in out.

Old 02-29-2004, 05:11 AM
Range Rover

but on alba web site they say that thear cdi will add 1500 rpm's to the top that meain that they have a rev limiter on them

Old 02-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider

trust me is doesn't. i bought it thinking the same thing and all it is from alba is a ron woods cdi, no limiter. just more money

Old 02-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

cooldevil-I just recently installed a k&n air filter and a big gun cdi on my 2003 baja and the stock jetting works very well with this set up.I was told that i should run with the lid on to get the most performance gain but mine ran stronger with the lid off.I decided to leave the main jet at a stock size and run with the lid on even though i had slightly more power or at least it seemed like i did with the lid off and a bigger main.Since the baja is my main dune machine i want reliability and longevity over maximum performance so the lid will stay on to avoid any contamination issues in the air box but the gains i had with the lid off and a larger main may be the way you want to go if you are concerned with getting the most out of your baja.I found that just the big gun cdi made a very big diference by allowing me to get into the upper rpm range without hitting the limiter which is very easy to do on a baja or any ds for that matter.As others have suggested i would not use a cdi without a rev limit because the possibility of damage to your motor is potentially high and could be expensive.

Old 02-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

More power from bottom to top?
Try these settings:
175 main
lid on
needle in 5th (richest) position
87 octane

The billet end cap work real well with these settings also.

Quick Reply: help with jettings and cdi