CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS POWER TIPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2000, 01:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

main problem they don't breathe. easy mod. pull the cap off exhaust. build or have built a new cap with 21/4" outlet. this will give you more low end power. hard mod. supercharge,port,cam,pipe,piston,carb,ing.box. if anyone has any other ideas please post. we need more fast ds's.

Old 07-13-2000, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

I bought a tip like you are talking about and it did make a big difference. I am really pleased with the improvement that such a little mod made. I cant wait until I get the time and money to mod the engine more. later_

Old 07-13-2000, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

DSAHOLIC
Where did you get your tip? How much did it cost? Did it make a big diffrence? Did you have to rejet the carb? How loud is your bike now? I heard that Trinity Racing had one but they don't list it on their web site. Thanks for any info you can pass on.

Old 07-13-2000, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, what TEX said???

Old 07-13-2000, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

There is a small shop in cal that is making a tip for the stock pipe on the DS. the guy I talked to (Bill) said that the stock pipe is as good as any pipe out there. the tip is the problem. He said that the tip that they make adds 5-8 hp acrossed the board and it only costs $69. Thats a lot better than 400 for the ct or RW. The same people that are making the tip have a lot of performance parts for the DS. They were there when the first test runs were done for the DS. They make a kit to put the battery and all the electronics under the seat. Sounds like that might be worth it. I got there # from a guy at trinity racing he spoke highly of the place so I tried the tip and what a difference, I can start in second with 8 paddle haulers no problem. It is a bit louder but it is deeper than the stock sound. I rode with a guy that had a 400 EX with a big gun and it wasn't any louder than that. I didn't rejet and have been riding with the tip for 3 months now and no problems. The plugs are a nice brown all the time. I ride hard so I'm sure that the jetting is ok. good luck!
there # is 661-822-7016 ask for bill.

BTW the tip is made of aluminum and looks really good on the stock pipe.

RIDE HARD the rest is just DETAILS!!!!

Old 07-14-2000, 02:30 AM
Trailblazer

you can build or have built an exhaust tip. my first 16ga. plate + 21/4" 30deg pipe. cost $6.00
labor time 1hr. or build a pipe. $400.00 for a pipe kit get real. $1400.00 for 10 hp get a life. these guys are getting rich off this stuff. 90% don't even build there parts. i built my own pipe out of stainless. i first went to a local hi-perf. muffler shop he quoted me $160.00 for a mandrel bent system with polished stainless supertrapp muffler. and keep the heat shield. my cd box is off f650 bmw. $350.00 from bmw. $125.00 from starter rebuilder who is an denso dealer.

Old 07-14-2000, 02:56 AM
Trailblazer

The name of the company is Pingrys and are located in Tehachapi cal.They make the exhaust tip,Aluminum air box,Air shrouds for the radiator,and a larger aluminum oil tank.I purchased all of these and found some problems with the end cap.It was way to loud for me, also the spark arrestor will no longer work. My big gun with the quiet insert and spark arrestor is stronger and quiter.The airbox is nice and relocates the battery inside of it,However there is no way to run a lid for the filter allowing water and dirt to attack the filter very quickly.also once the battery is relocated inside the air box you are supposed to cut the frame where the battery used to mount grind and repaint it.I returned these 2 items, but the oil tank fit nicely and lowers the operating temperature considerably.The air dams helped a lot also
Bearman

Old 07-20-2000, 04:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

bdonohue, Which model Mikuni 44mm carb are you running? Where did you get a larger diameter 1-into-2 manifold for the Rotax650? Where did you get the throttle cable for use with the thumb throttle? Does the BMW F650 CDI box have a higher rev limit or no rev limit at all? Where might I pick a used one up? Have you changed the gearing with all the extra power you have? You run 20" sand skate IIs in the sand? What about in the dirt?

Old 07-21-2000, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

the carb has tm45 on the left side. bought it at a swap meet $25.00. manifold is stock just ported and cut down. had felsted make the cable. the cdi box off bmw has no rev limiter. i may sell mine soon. i'm running msd now. stock gearing don't want to go any faster or slower. stock tires in dirt and they do need to be changed.

Old 07-21-2000, 02:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

$25 for that carb, you're lucky! Ron Wood uses that exact same carb in his kits! I assume you use the accelerator pump? Did you have to jet the carb down before when you were not running the supercharger? The MSD ignition you are running is the digital/programmable ignition? Which model? Are they expensive? What was involved in hooking it up to the DS650? Is that something good to go with even if you don't run a turbo or supercharger?

Quick Reply: DS POWER TIPS