CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

in need of a radiator..just started 720

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in need of a radiator..just started 720

ok I just got my 720 running finally after the wiring mess of the msd, let me tell u i took one plug out to turn over to see if it had spark, it damn near blinded me it was such a good spark, im running denso iridium plugs in it and the msd box makes a huge difference not to mention its completly adjustable. I will have some pics up soon, but it looks awesome. only one problem it has a small antifreeze leak, i'm working on figuring out where, in a little while I'm gonna go out and check around the water pump seals and radiator, but just in case I do need one does anyone have a radiator for sale??? pm me thanks
kyle

Old 03-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

sounds like a fun machine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Range Rover

well i had a couple problems, we ended up putting allen bolts in the header mounts because mbrp doesnt even leave enough room to thread the bottom nuts on the header studs. then I didnt know where two wires went on the msd because it didnt show because I have a 03 model ds and they dont have adapters yet, but todd at tvi helped me with that. but even after everything was hooked up nothing would go, no starter no lights no nothing so i was like wtf. but then i checked the main fuse and it wasn't blown so i started checking around and I pulled the starter solenoid connection apart and put it back together and the fuse blew so I put a new one in and wala, power up on everything. I ran it for 15 minutes at 2000rpms to break the cams in, but other than that I have only got it started it a few times and got it nice and warm and then shut it down, I have to take it out and ride it nice and easy but as of now it is snowing lol. so I guess its back to the rev I go. this machine is awesome I hope to have pics soon but im not sure how to upload them to the gallery. also one other thing I had to trim my frame a little different that some of the pics Ive seen, my dual carbs are center pull and all the pics I've seen are right side pull when on the bike. but I got it figured out, the kn filter from tvi is an extremely tight fit in fact it is slight misshaped just from putting it between the frame rails. but oh well I guess...

Old 03-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

and one other thing i forgot to mention...when we timed everything in, the timing mark on the flywheel did not line up when at tdc. we used a dial indicator to find true tdc. has anyone else had a flywheel that wasnt right, I talked to my dealer and some others and they said bombardier may have just messed on up it or it was made on a friday lol...

Old 03-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

there's a locater on the crank for TDC, you remove the 8mm bolt under the water pump housing, rotate to get the locater lined up with the hole (the cam sprocket marks will be lined up at this point), and install a 50mm long bolt through the hole to lock the crank prior to removing the top end, so that when you put it back together its still locked at TDC. the marks on the flywheel do not give you tdc, as you have noticed. you dealer needs schooled.

good luck with your new motor, and dual carbs! Have fun man, and hang on!!!

Old 03-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Like Hightower said. . .

I don't know how they could mess up the notch on the crank. Check out my pictures and there is a crank out of the cases. Clearly, it is at the bottom of the lobes giving TDC when it is locked in as Hightower says.

(I hope your timing isn't off [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

dune me what would it do if my timing is off and how would I know. my builder used a dial indicator which is accurate to a very small increment. I don't think my timing could be off, ps this is the cylinder and head I bought of off you. thanks Kyle

Old 03-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your builder should know.

You could bend a valve (piston to valve contact) if things are off.

Only way I know to check is to pull your valve cover off. Pull the plug hightower is talking about and line up your cam sprockets. You can pull a plug and put a plastic straw or somthing in just to ball park make sure you are at TDC. Just make sure you are in the notch on the crank and you are on the compression stroke and you can set it.

Does anyone know if the plug fires each time the piston comes to TDC or only on the compression stroke? I am thinking it must fire each time???

Old 03-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Range Rover

it runs great so I don't think that the timing would be off, although I haven't opened it up. although heres the thing, I didnt know about the locking pin, this was the first bombardier motor he has built, he usually works on hondas and yamahas, well anyways we used a dial indicator like I said so the timing of the crank is dead on, however no matter what we did the two cam sprockets were less than a half tooth off.

Old 03-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ds650king
however no matter what we did the two cam sprockets were less than a half tooth off.
sounds like the cylinder and head have been cut. your timing marks won't line up because the cam chain is taking up the extra slack, thus rotating your cams. Did your piston deck even, in the hole, or above deck?

you also mentioned your were losing antifreeze. Can you visually see steam at the radiator or a puddle underneath it?

Quick Reply: in need of a radiator..just started 720