CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ethical Delima

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethical Delima

tough one. it's not easy doing the right thing but you probably already know what you should do or you wouldn't have had to ask. it took me a long time to figure out when i had to ask myself if i should do something because it was the right thing or just turn my back and ignore it that i already knew what i should do. most of the time i just didn't like what the answer was because i didn't want to hurt a friend or stick out in the crowd. i would ask people what they thought i should do hopeing they would give me an answer on how to get out of going against the crowd instead of doing what that little voice kept say was the right thing to do.if he stole the atv he needs to be turned in. you might be surprised at how your friend takes it, he might be feeling the same way you are and just doesn't have the nerve to stand up and say anything. it's a choice only you can make and one you will have to live with. just do what you feel is right. hope this helps and doesn't confuse you.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

Buying a stolen quad is no different then stealing it!!!

If it were me I think I would make an anonymous tip to the cops. But keep your head down and dont let on you did it. As a friend it is frends responsiblilty to keep the other friend in line. This is what friends are for. You have to consider what this guy would do if he found out it was you.

I am glade its not my decision.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

the reason i say leave it alone is cuz it happend to me, i thought i was doing a good thing and the guy found out that i said something "anonymous" and started to mess with me and calling the house and even passed by my house and vandalized my property, to make a long story short i dont play that game and ended up in jail for an attempted murder charge for trying to stabb the dude when he harassed My mom when she was home alone..Luckily i was released due to lack of evidence but if you dont mind that drama them go right ahead...

Now you can bet that i mind my own buisness and dont get involved unless it involves me. serious, probabley one of the worst mistakes i made but you gotta to do what you gotta do, specially if you mess with my family....
PLEASE BE CAREFULL..

Old 04-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

Originally posted by: 1BADRAPTOR
the reason i say leave it alone is cuz it happend to me, i thought i was doing a good thing and the guy found out that i said something "anonymous" and started to mess with me and calling the house and even passed by my house and vandalized my property, to make a long story short i dont play that game and ended up in jail for an attempted murder charge for trying to stabb the dude when he harassed My mom when she was home alone..Luckily i was released due to lack of evidence but if you dont mind that drama them go right ahead... Now you can bet that i mind my own buisness and dont get involved unless it involves me. serious, probabley one of the worst mistakes i made but you gotta to do what you gotta do, specially if you mess with my family....PLEASE BE CAREFULL..
My point EXACTLY. I am glad you posted your experience 1BADRAPTOR. Maybe it will save someones family some grief and the guy "doing the right thing" from going postal and winding up behind bars.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

Call the detecticves,and tell them that you can help them recover some stolen property, but you want it to look like they found it "by chance".
Example: tell your so called friend that you will look at the Quad, but you would feel better if the guy could meet you some place like a MALL parking lot where it is busy and nobody pays attention to what everybody else is doing. If the thief doesnt agree then tell them your not interested and forget it. but if he is willing to meet you, have the police "coincidently" have a patrol car in the same area at the same time. And then you ALL get busted, but only the thief will get the punishment he deserves.

Ofcourse this would be the LONG and complicated way of doing things, but its a 3rd option.

Biggerisbetter.

P.S. no matter what you do, one things for sure, LOOSE that friend before he gets you into ALOT of trouble on of these days.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

4th Option

<U>Ride it like you stole it!!</U>

Old 04-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

WHat are the chances of the numbers not being ground off of the quad anyway? A dirty cop will appreciate the free wheels.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

The DS has 2 sets of numbers NONE in metal. They are stickers.
1 down on the right-front-bottom of the frame
2 on top of the valve cover

It woudl VERY easy to have these stickers removed....

Old 04-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

If my quad were stolen, I'd want some one to take action so I could get it back. Imagine if it were your quad, how you'd feel if some one were in your shoes, and did nothing about it.
I can understand your hesitation, as it's valid. I like the sound of the mall parking lot idea. You could do this anywhere, a convenience store, park, etc.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

In my opinion there is no ethical delima here. The guy trying to sell you the stolen quad is NOT a victim he's a crook. And as far as I'm concerned so is your riding buddy. Call the PD, set up a sting. If you are worried about your personal/family's safety, then relay that info to the PD so they can make you look like you had no idea what is going on.

Don't take this personaly, but the way I see it, by not doing anything, you are withholding evidence and therefore are an accessory (sp) to the crime.

In short nail that bastard's a$$ to the wall!

Quick Reply: Ethical Delima