CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ethical Delima

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethical Delima

A guy I ride with asked me if I would be interested in a stolen quad that his friend wants to sell. His friend said that he did not sellit but bought it from another friend. First off I would never take part in something like that because I know I don't want anyone to steal and then sell my DS. My issue is... do you think I have a responsibility to meet this guys "friend" get the numbers and turn him in for having a stolen quad? This is someone I have never met and I would have to make an effort to find out who he is and get the info to turn him in, and maybe **** off the guy that I ride with in the process, or do I just turn down the offer and leave it alone? I don't want to foster any illegal activity, after all my another friend of mine had his 04 Banshee stolen 1 month after he bought it and is still making payments on it. He is urging me to find this guy and turn him in. Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

turn down the offer and leave him alone, his time will come and just let your buddy know that it aint cool and how would he feel if his bike was stolen....JMO

you may get yourself deeper than you wanted if you involve yourself..

Old 04-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

I think that you should turn him in. Who knows where that quad came from. Perhaps the guy who is missing the quad scraped money for a few years to buy it, only to have some douche bag steal it from him. Even if the original owner was filthy rich, he doesn't deserve to have someone steal his ride. Anyone who would steal ANYTHING from somebody else isn't worth two whoops in hell in my books.

If your riding buddy gets pissed, so be it. He's not worth riding with anyhow if he doesn't see eye to eye with you on this. If he doesn't, cool.

Maybe you had nothing to do with this quad getting stolen, but now you know about it. Your the only one who knows how you will sleep at the end of the day.

Do the right thing...

My 2 cents

Old 04-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

I understand what you're saying, but if everyone who knew of a stolen quad would turn it in, then what would a thief do with a quad once he stole it? Perhaps it would happen a lot less. It could be your quad getting shopped around by some dime store punk who would rather work twice as hard to steal it than he would to earn the money to get one honest.

If my quad is ever stolen, the thief had better hope to God that I never find out who he is. I'd stomp a mudhole in someone's *** for stealing a screwdriver from me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Ethical Delima

one way or another, you should try to figure out a non abrasive way to get that bike back to its owner,,,,sooner or later

Old 04-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Ethical Delima

get creative

Old 04-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

This quad wouldnt happen to be a Raptor would it??

I say bust his A$$, go talk to the Police being careful not to mention any names and have them instruct you on how to handle it. Your freind needs to find new freinds if he is hanging out with theives period!! Have you ever heard the saying classification by association? If your freind gets pissed at you for being an honest and ethical person he is NOT a freind you want to have anyway. If thats the case cut your losses and move on.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

You need to find away to turn him in. If it was your bike? How would you feel? Just make a call to the police station and talk to some detectives. You dont have to give your name and they should atleast check it out.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

If you don't mind handling the situation if it turns out they find it was you that turned them in than go for it. Someone will be happy to get their quad back. But there is no shame in not saying anything if you don't want to get involved in the whole thing. Something to think about for sure. I guess it would depend on how good of a friend this guy you ride with is, and do you mind pissing him off.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Ethical Delima

You need too understand the ramifications too turning the guy in. If he feels it is YOU that turned him in he could take action against you and your FAMILY. I would asume this thief is not a pillar of the community and just may get back at you in a big way. Something too think about.
Gary

Quick Reply: Ethical Delima