CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the price gap shrinking? Modified Raptor vs. Modified DS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the price gap shrinking? Modified Raptor vs. Modified DS

Dang! Gonna have to use a calculator next time!

Yes, $11,200 for the DS. Mr. HP is offering a new jug, piston, rings, head and base gasket for $1550 and I think TVI has them for about $1250 so, I averaged it at about $1500. I think that is fair. Check out there web sites.

Yes, a Raptor will still cost you every bit of $7200 in Northern CA. A buddy shopped about two months ago and he ended up paying about $7300 O.T.D. Yes, I know other states offer much better prices. Sales tax is 7.75%. They all charge about $300 to $400 for freight and set-up (I know, a rip off!) The only thing that you can't get if you go to Oregon or Nevada, etc. is a green sticker on the Raptor. The Raptor has a 49 state quad and a California version. Buy it in any other state and you will get a red sticker. The DS is different. You can buy a DS in Tim-Buck-Too and still get a green sticker.)

$6,199 + 300 set-up + 7.75% tax = $7,003 (used the calculator this time.) Add doc fees and I think they are charging $400 not $300 for freight and set-up and you are right at about $7200.

I'll stick by my numbers (except math errors). My point isn't where you can buy a Raptor or a DS cheaper, my Point is that you can get a powerful DS for about the same price as a powerful Raptor. A few years ago the DS was much more to modify.

I was trying to build both bikes as I would like to have them if I was to start from scratch. I actually would probably do the 727 on the Raptor which would again bring the prices more in-line.

As for the head work, check out on dunes or Ron Wood sites for where I got the pricing. The Modified DS head would be a better head than the Raptor head IMO dollar for dollar. You could port the DS for about $400 to $450, new cams and valve springs for about another $500ish. The $2000 is for larger valves on the DS. The DS can fit much larger valves.

Old 04-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
My point isn't where you can buy a Raptor or a DS cheaper, my Point is that you can get a powerful DS for about the same price as a powerful Raptor. A few years ago the DS was much more to modify.
I agree there...I have complained about buildups costing too much in the Bomb forums. Has Ron woods lowered his prices too compete with TVI?
I actually would probably do the 727 on the Raptor which would again bring the prices more in-line.
True
[/quote]As for the head work, check out on dunes or Ron Wood sites for where I got the pricing. The Modified DS head would be a better head than the Raptor head IMO dollar for dollar. You could port the DS for about $400 to $450, new cams and valve springs for about another $500ish. The $2000 is for larger valves on the DS. The DS can fit much larger valves.[/quote]I see...that clears things up. Thanks bud....don't take my previous post as picking at you...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].
Gary

Old 04-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Gary, you were right. Bomb has been very expensive to build.

I think most will agree now that since the prices are in line the DS is a better platform for the highe HP builds (better Tranny and stock connecting rod is good to go.)

I actually saw the light go on with one of my buddies last trip. He was actually thinking he may be better off selling his Raptor and getting a DS to modify. Not really from a price stand-point but, from an overall power and reliability standpoint.

I still laugh at the people that blindly buy Yammy. I'm not talking about the ones that ride tight trails or MX that the DS isn't good at (and the 450's are great at) but, the duning and desert riding - especially with a larger and/or taller rider. One guy I told to just go sit on it before he bought the Raptor and right there in camp he wouldn't even sit on it. (Oh, well - this guy thought a piped Blaster would beat a Raptor - oh, rider weight is 200#+++ ) What a joke!

A new DS was in the camp last trip (replacing an old Zilla!) and two more guys are now seriously looking at the DS.

Oh, also. . . the DS price I have above includes a Tach and the Baja lights + a ProCircuit Pipe and K&N air Filter so. . . again the gap is closer!

Old 04-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

ds is now cheaper by almost 600 in oregon and the build kits seem to have come in at about the same. i did a 440 in the kids honda and the kit said like 550 but factor in all the machine work and replacement parts and labor the bill was like 2200[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] so those cheap prices aren't all they seem to be.

Old 04-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 300exrider19
baja bomber, where do u live?
Actually....I am living in Centerville, Utah now, it has been about 3 weeks. I was in Clackamas, OR before that. And there is a possibilty that I might be moving again?!?!?! Frickin weird. I'll make sure and change that in my profile!

Old 04-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

just did the rap over to a drag build, everything is bigger and redid all the parts and crank also, put all new parts and redid everything and it cost me about 2,500, i also got the paint redone and the frame painted also, new tires.etc..etc..I got alot of discounts so i would figure a little over 3 grand if i had to pay for everything..

Old 04-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

seems the mods are about the same now days

Old 04-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

Glad I live in Pennsylvania.....brand spanking new bajaX for $5895

Old 04-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sam:

New Carbs? Which ones are you running?

Old 04-17-2004, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

I thought with the introduction of the new YFZ the Raptor is now $5500.00 + Tax? I know I saw it somehwere advertised here for that maount.

Still buck for buck... you get more out of a DS.

Quick Reply: Is the price gap shrinking? Modified Raptor vs. Modified DS