CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

anyone tried engine ice in their ds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone tried engine ice in their ds?

i have a heat seaker temp gauge on my ds on warm days i have seen it hit over 220f and the temp light would come on , this year im going to try engine ice heard it works well, i have read on this forum about fan problems with the ds i have'nt had any problems yet but would like to prevent them, plus the machine runs better the cooler it is.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

i am currently running it in my ds but dont see any changes in the operating temp. i do have a coolant temp guage on my bike so i can monitor it. biggest difference is to run shrouds. i also wondered what would happen if you ran without a t-stat?

Old 04-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

i know in full size vehicles that does not work i have been told , because the coolant does not stay in the rad long enough to cool makes sense.

Old 04-17-2004, 01:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

In full size vehicles engine ice or similar coolants wont work because the engine's computer will close the thermostat if the coolant temperature drops too low, so there is no reason to run this in a car engine (unless you do a lot of heavy hauling.)

In an ATV or motorcycle the engine ice or similar coolant will be able to help cooling.

I just installed the Engine Ice in my 2003 Baja, not sure if it is making a difference - I've only rode it 30 minutes.

However on my 2001 DS650 I installed the engine ice and radiator shrouds at the same time for a dramaticly notable difference in cooling. If you need better cooling, do both of those and consider an inline cooler from on-dunes.ocm.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

I have engine ice, and it didn't help at all. I also have shrouds, and they help, but not in trail riding like I do sometimes. The best advise I can give is to make sure it is jetted correctly. most people don't have perfect jetting all the way through the rpm range. It is lean on bottom or top which will cause it to run hot no matter what you do to prevent it. The radiator is plenty large enough because there are people putting out crazy amounts of hp without radiator mods. Take your quad to a good dealer that has a sniffer and the will print you out a graph that shows exactly where you are lean and you can correct it.

Justin

Old 04-17-2004, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

i tried using water wetter in my ds and it really didn't do anything. i think the only way coolant additive makes a difference is in a system without a thermostat. we started using wetter in the drag car (no thermostat) and it really dropped the temp. but running without a thermostat usually is only a modified racing wide open thing. my 760 with just 50% mix and shrouds almost never kicks on the fan, shrouds really help. p.s. is you'r fan running when it goes over 200deg? when i had a guage on mine i think it would come on at 210 or so.