CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What is involved with stroking a DS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is involved with stroking a DS?

Ive rebuilt my DS twice. First time with a Ron Wood 11:5.1 piston and second time with a big bore. I'm considering a longer stroke, which would require to replace the rod (I'm assuming). How much labor is involved in this. Can someone who has torn into the motor do such a task? What tools are needed? Suggested (worst case scenario) time start to finish in doing so? How much longer stroke can you go?

Old 04-17-2004, 05:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is involved with stroking a DS?

I never touched the insided of the DS but have reaserached it a bunch. Obviously you have to split the cases, I think a great write up on that was done by Eaglecollector on replacing the shift forks. Once you got the cases split, the crank and balancer gear should slide out. Ship out your crank and the engine builder takes apart the crank, does thier magic, and sends its back to you. Reinstallation might require recentering the crank between the two cases, the crank uses shims to center inself. To measure you need a depth gauge.

Special tools required:
Magneto puller
Depth gauge
???

I am sure there is alot more to this, like I said I have never done this. This is just what I read in various places. The issue I always have is how much confidence do you have in your work? Its no fun to ride and not be confident that your engine will get you back to camp.

I believe Mr HP can make up to a +8mm crank.