CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Fan troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan troubles...

I looked through any threads that contained the word "Fan" and I came across very few that can answer my fan problem.

Last week I riding hard in a brightly lit whoops section and out of the corner of my eye I noticed the red light on my dash was on. I shut the DS down immediately and I noticed coolant dripping (I overfilled the overfill tank) and motor is giving off heat and NO FAN is kicking in like it normally would. So I push one of the spades/boots in to where it connects to what I assume is a switch and on the fan goes. I let go of it, and the fan stops. I push it in again the fan fires up, I let it go it stops. Obviously a bad connection. SO I let it sit a while and I push the spade in. It made it back to the vehicle as it was time to go home.

Yesterday I fire up my DS let it run for about 15 mintues let it get nice and hot (red light never came on) shut it off but left the key in the on position. Fan didn't come on at all now. I pushed the spade, let it run, rev it up a bit to get it to a temperature so the fan can kick in, nope, nada, nothing.

I'm assuming where the connectiors/spades meet the male part is probably what needs to be replaced. Has anyone encountered any of these problems before? I just don't want to order a part that didn't resolve my problem.

Old 04-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Fan troubles...

It sounds like the male-female connector is just loose? Can't it just be repaired? Maybe I don't understand you correctly.

Sounds like you don't want to replace that part because you think it may be something else? Well, replace one thing at a time. If that part needs replacing replace it and move on to the next part that needs replacing too.

Another idea is to make a dash mounted switch and run the leads from the thermostat housing to the switch and not use the thermostat at all. Just manually switch the fan on when you are riding it in a way the fan would normally come on.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fan troubles...

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. My fan would not run unless I held the wires in the right way. I played with the wires when I got home and it was no better. I replaced the sending unit and it fixed my problem. This is the first sending unit I have replaced in 4 years, I know other people that have gone threw a handfull of them.

The bomb part# is
420-2653-90

Old 04-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fan troubles...

What exactly is the sending unit? Where is it located? I thought it might be the thermostatic switch.

Old 04-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Fan troubles...

i have put jumpers in the connectlor area you are talking about and have a switch wired in that i just turn on when i know i'm going to race, heck i run it a lot i like knowing the thing is cooling. those connectors are really cheap a package is a dollar

Old 04-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Fan troubles...

The sending unit is the round thing on the back of the thermostat housing that has two wires runing out of it. That is what usualy goes bad.

Justin

Old 04-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Fan troubles...

Is there any strain on the electrical system running the fan on continuously or on the battery. Sounds like that would be a good idea. Wonder if you can run it all the time....can't hurt the cooling system can it?

Old 04-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Fan troubles...

Ahh so it is the "thermostatic switch"

At least that is what is called in the Bombardier Parts Catalog