Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Lt80 help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt80 help!!!

Hi all, I am new to this forum and am in desperate need of help- especially from LT80 himself!!!

Last week I bought a 2002 LT80 for my 4 year old... Was dirty, maintained, but started first pop (electric, no pull). I was waiting for him to get home and had some extra time so I powerwashed it (STUPID, I KNOW). From that poiont forward I have been having troubles... here is what has transpired...
****starter would not turn over (bought new battery and dielectric grease). applied... fired right up thought I fixed the problem...
****next day, it would crank forever, but NOT start until about 12 or 15 starts... RUNS MINT!!! But HARD to start...
****Cleaned the carb, air filter, new plug and fluids, STILL RUNS AWESOME but hard to start
****Drained battery, recharged it.. Still a bear to start.
****Did compression test. Best I could get was 89.
I should mention that I PROBABLY EFFED THIS THING UP FROM DAY 1 (or the guy who sold it to me pulled one over on me. It WILL fire right up when it is warm, but after 5 minutes, it is a BEAR to start...
Where should I go from here???
Oh yeah, checked the petcock, it operates perfectly. The orig oil pump is still intact. and everything else is fine...
It just is IMPOSSIBLE to start.
AM I ASKING TOO MUCH?
Should I do the piston kit?
Havent checked the reeds yet...
PLEASE HELP! My 4 year old is MISERABLE! And so am I.
LT80... Are you out there??? ANYONE???
Thanks for all your help in advance!
Carl

Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer

You didn't mention whether you emptied the old gas and put in fresh... also, do you get a consistent blue spark? Sounds like you might have some moisture in the ignition system somewhere...

Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have NOT emptied the gas. Without sounding like too much of a noob, what I the EASIEST way to find consistent blue spark? I'm gonna get cracking on her tonight. Any help ASAP is much appreciated. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

Also are there any places that water tends to pool or stay in the electrical system if it gets wet I took all the quick connect off and put grease in then it seemed to do the trick right away but then the symptoms came back.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

I would drain the gas and put in fresh.

Remove the spark plug from the cylinder, plug it back into the plug wire boot, and let it dangle or rest on the engine casing. The side of the spark plug has to touch the metal engine for a ground or it won't fire. When you turn over the engine, you should see a consistent blue spark, orange-ish or yellow-ish would be a weak spark.

Start at the plug boot and work your way back, you can try using compressed air if available to blow the moisture out of connections you find. Good luck

Old 02-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks lt80pilot! I am going to tear into her tonight at work my way back as you suggested I will use compressed air and clean out all my connections
when I find something I will let you know probably posting at about 10 o'clock eastern time thanks so much for everything!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer

One more thing I was told to do a rebuild kit on the car because I have gas and boil coming out of the plug in the muffler when it does start up. I cleaned the carb and boiled it all of the little openings are clear would've rebuild kit do anymore for the carb or should I be set.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

4 yrs old...................................ack
So is he riding with you or alone?
The pipe plugged?
Comp is low but they usually run at 89, but You need to freshen it anyways.
The main connections are under the hood. You can check/grease them.
You say 12-15 times, Is it flooded? Do you need to apply full throttle to get it to start and clean out? (still carb)
Guess we'll start there.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

HI LT80. Thanks for getting back to me. He is 4 and has been riding for over a year now. He only rides with his 7 year old brother and myself. Keeping it safe with the learning process. I figured this bike will keep him happy for many years to come. If only I could work out some glitches. Believe me, I know the 2011 Can Am try got for christma last year like the back of my hand.

I use the choke and full throttle to start (best way I have found). The plug under the muffler was removed and when it does start, gas and oil - enough to form a good puddle come out.

What pipe is plugged?

Gonna go thru electrical when I get home at 8.

ALSO: when I DO get this thing up and running, PM me your addresses (lt80pilot as well) I will send you a 12 pack of your beverage of choice. The least I could do and DEF cheaper than going to a dealership.

Thanks for all your input. Anyone else want to chime in? Am grateful already.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

"when it does start, gas and oil - enough to form a good puddle come out."
If I read that correct, now, when it does start, it dumps fuel out the bolt hole of the pipe.
If so, fuel is leaking by the float needle and flooding it out.
I put a on/off valve on them and shut the fuel off when not running.

Quick Reply: Lt80 help!!!