Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Age limits on Quad sizes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Age limits on Quad sizes

I think these are pretty dumb on my 250 TB ('00) the age limit is 16.. some kids are alot bigger than others, and cant handle a little 90 or such, and there are other kids who are awesome riders (small kids) that can handle a 250 or so.... Im 16 5'7 125..when I was 13 in '00 I was ridin this quad with no troubles...

-Brandon

Old 12-20-2003, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

your right.. but those numbers are guidelines.. around here, you can take a saftey course at 12, and be driving what ever your parents put you on.. hopefully they can be smart enough to pick out a quad that will fit their kid and not be stupid and give them w.e. they want...

luke

Old 12-20-2003, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

5'7 u gotta grow lol jk im not that big either but anyways yeah i think thats bogus

Old 12-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

They age limits are there for a reason. One because of physical size of the rider and the other the maturity of the rider. The second one is the one that gets taken for granted. Most kids under the age of 16 (and even older than that) are not mature enough to make the right decision when riding an atv. Coincedence that the legal age to drive a car is 16? (and this is sometimes to young for some) Just remember that it only takes one time and they could get seriously hurt or killed. That goes for us adults too. :-) Have a safe holiday everyone and remember to keep your kids safety in mind too.

Old 12-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

ya.. but if they set the age limit to 12.. and any old 12 year old got on it and crashed.. then we wouldnt have quads any more, all the sue happy people around nowa days would take all the companys money...
so if they set the limit to 16.. (because by 16 you have the general idea on how to steer and control a machine), they can save their ***... and it wont be there faut when a stupid parent lets thier 12 year old jump on a pred and go... and he goes right up and over the handles bars breaking his neck and back...

the limit is a great idea.. and it should probably be higher for a machine like the pred, raptor, ds, yfz, and banshee...
doesnt mean you cant ride it.. but it covers them.

Old 12-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Range Rover

The age limit is to protect the manufacter ONLY!!! Like Hozed said. They are not toys, but without the warnings, a parent could file a law suit stating they thought they were safe for kids to play with....and win!

It goes to negligence for a foreseeable use of a product!

Old 12-20-2003, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

If it was up to the manufactuers they wouldn't put any age limits on anything they sell. The government forced them to back in the 80's by blackmailing them with extinction. Jay

Old 12-21-2003, 04:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i was in my local Polaris dealership Sat making an offer on a Scrambler (it wasn't accepted). i saw a 13 year old boy and his parents asking a salesman what type of ATV would fit their son and the sales guy was trying to sell them a 330 ATP!! i couldn't believe what i was seeing!! DAMN! you should have seen the looks on the parent's faces to. i guess the salesman was just trying to sell something he had in stock!

i'd thing the 250 Trailblazer or Magnum330 or maybe Predator90 would have been offered to them.

.........of course the people just walked right out!

sometimes Polaris salesman never cease to amaze me!

Old 12-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

The problem is the idiot parents who dont have a clue about how fast or dangerous a machine is. They listen to the kid when its time to go pick out a motorized babysitter. I've seen 9 yr olds with their own sp500s, and 11-12 yr olds with 400EX's and Scramblers. When I was a police officer I once took a 6 year old girl off a 450 Foreman that her dad was confident she could handle, even without a helmet!! The factory is going a little too far in one direction to protect themselves, but it's better than the parents who put their kids at risk. We just had a 12 year old near here get killed on a 200cc 2 stroke Blaster last summer. He was riding alone on a trail and wrecked at a sharp curve. Machine was found to be in fifth gear. I dont know what the top speed of a blaster is, but its a hell of a lot faster than the surrounding trees. Another 13 yr old with a 12 yr old girl on the back hit a railroad bed gate so hard they bent it, the girl went over the top, fortunately she had the helmet on. the only way I can think of to protect the kids and the future of recreational atv riding is to involve the parents more. Parents who dont ride and dont learn enough about the sport are the ones letting the kids run wild. I plan to be involved in the decisions of what atv is appropriate for my daughter at what age and size, and I will also supervise her to make sure she is learning to handle the machines at the same rate that she is growing.

But since she is only 8 days old I'll have to wait a while to buy her the first one![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2003, 12:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

"But since she is only 8 days old I'll have to wait a while to buy her the first one!"

CONGRATS, CONGRATS!!

now you have to post a pic for all of us![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Age limits on Quad sizes