CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Went for my first real ride today

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went for my first real ride today

I got a chance to take my DS650 out for the first time today. I went to Sycamore Creek (I know there's a lot of AZ guys around here, so I figure that might mean something) with 3 other guys. They were riding a bone stock Warrior, some halfway sporty Polaris, and a 400EX with a few grand worth of suspension, and a big bore motor. I know none of those bikes are really in the same class as the DS, but I had to compare it to something.

Anyways, we mostly rode the trails, and the DS did pretty well. A lot of people say it's too big for trails, but it really wasn't an issue. The only real problem came when the little quads could fit between big rocks, and I had to run them over. It can get a little hairy hitting a big rock at speed, but it was never a huge issue.

OK, on to the positives: First, the motor is great. It doesn't even care if it's lugged almost to a dead stop in 3rd gear. Just a slight nudge of the gas, and it'll pull no problem. Also, the suspension is amazing. Everyone else was fairly beat up by the time we were done, but I was still good to go. Even the guy on the EX said there was no comparison between the two. And last, when we were able to get some speed, the other bikes were painfully outmatched. Everyone else had their bikes strung out in top gear, while I cruised along a 1/2 throttle in 3rd. I was tempted to really get on it, but I didn't feel like stopping to let everyone catch up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Again, I know this is really an apples to oranges comparison here, but I'm still really happy with this quad. Now I just need to get to the dunes so I can really see what it can do.

Old 04-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the club!! That is the same feeling I get when I ride with my friends. I ride with some yfz's and new honda 450r's, and they are faster, but boy do I like my couch for an all day ride.

Justin

Old 04-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

WTFBEES,

Congrats and welcome to the underdog realm of the DS. Yes it's a great ride and very easy to maintain. Good purchase. It took me a while to get used to my DS but after riding it and hopping on other bikes I always go back to my DS like a long lost love.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

It's definately the best when it comes to an all day ride. I've only had my DS to the dunes once, and it was awsome. We went on a 3 hour ride that would have destroyed me had I been on my Banshee. I didn't even have paddles for it, and had no problems getting anywhere. The only thing I didn't like was the rev limiter kicked in waaaaaay too early. It made some of the longer, steeper hills more interesting. (especially without paddles) My riding buddy and I are considering one more quick dune trip around the middle of May. Anyone would be welcome to join us, and I'll post it if we finalize something.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

You Arizona guys should look back over your shoulder and try riding over here in New Mexico. Silver City is only 3 hours from Tucson. No dunes, but awesome trail rides 6,000 to 9,000 feet elevation. Small sand washes, mountain trails, old mining roads, fast, fun, riding, some rough stuff. The "Burros", in the Gila National Forest, just 15 miles west of Silver has about 500 miles of trails in 150,000 acres. We are working with the Forest Service to develop an official "Recreational OHV Trails Map" and get the place signed. Meanwhile, we have our own maps, and when we do a ride with a bunch of people, we are allowed to flag the area we are riding in as long as we unflag it when we are done. We have a nice little favorite area we ride in, about 10,000 acres, pine and oak trees, great camping.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Range Rover

Sycamore creek is the the for trail rides and glad you like the new ds.