CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Enlighten me, please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enlighten me, please.

Bear with me, for I know not where I tread.

I currently have a Suzuki DRZ-400 & 3 Polaris RMK's, the latter which I ride extensively during the winter. Still trying to get a couple of last rides in in the Sierras around Tahoe.

Here is my quandry: I have a friend who has a 2000 DS 650 for sale. Lot of extra goodies on it, setup for the sand. Also, have never been used stock wheels & tires, in addition to dune wheels & tires. I want to be able to ride mt. trails in area where we snowmobile, but would also like to ride other types of areas also. Is the DS an appropriate atv for this, or should I be looking at a sport quad at all & instead looking at 4X4. Is this bike to heavy for this use w/o 4X4? What about lack of reverse on mt trails? Can these go offtrail in the mts. w/o getting stuck? What about winch on these to help you out? Electric or the hand type that I have seen? Can you add any racking to these to carry gear?

What about Suzuki LTZ 400 or Predator?

I am 54 w/ a body that enjoys creature comforts, so the fasted & hardest riding bike is not my priority. want to be comfortable all day long.

If this isn't appropriate, what should I be looking at? Have thought about Polaris 700 EFI or 500 HO, both new.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

The DS will be dangerous for 4x4. It is a great dune bike, but for what you want I recomend the polaris 4x4. It is a comfortable ride. Trust me, My brother in-law just bought a ds and loves it for trails and dunes, but still needs 4x4 every now and then, also=when riding a DS @ very slow speeds may tend to heat stuff up unless you run the fan continuously. It just isnt designed for what you have in mind. Just my opinion. Good luck on a worthy purchace.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

I've got the Outlander Max 2-seater, don't count it out!!!! VERY comfortable and feels a lot more stable on hillsides to me than the Polaris Sportsman.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

well if you are riding snowmoblie trails, the ds will be fine, if you plan on riding those trails with snow on them go with the 4x4, comfort is the ds's middle name, well hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Range Rover

I should clarify that the Sierra's are very rocky, and most of this area is either treeless or very sparse, so offtrail isn't the same as in the flatlands or hills. Most of our snowmobile riding isn't on trail--mostly boondocking. So some of this riding will definately be uneven terrain.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Guess who this is Ken [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Its my DS he is thinkin of buying. Ken, in the summer you are not allowed to go off forest service trails like we do in the winter. You have to stay on the trails/roads because it tears everything up.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Well, if it is going to be for trails and roads Then its a different story+ now we know he would be getting a great deal since you dont abuse your bike like some of us. Besides I dont think the ds is as heavy as the 4x4.

Old 04-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

Figured it wouldn't take Sean long to find this post.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

To be more specific, is the DS appropriate for the Jeep 4X4 "road" from Bear River to Plasse's Trading post & on to Tragedy Springs/Silver Lake or out the back side of Hope Valley/Blue Lakes to Highway 4 Mt Reba?? Assume would need to beefup w/ AArm, Chassis, & swingarm Armor/[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Enlighten me, please.