CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

BlackHawk's Lectron 46HV Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004 | 03:04 AM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default BlackHawk's Lectron 46HV Review

Everyone has an opinion, and I've finally got to see what my opinion is on the Lectron AFTER a full weekend of riding it. I'm seriously happy with my purchase.

So after having my Mr. HP custom Lectron 46HV installed on my DS for over a month and not really having any seat time I was finally able to get some riding time in this past weekend at Pismo Beach with Sandaholic & learnem (from another forum.) First I need to say that both of these guys are great to hang with & if you get the chance to go ride with them do it.

I'm comparing my 2003 DS650 Baja before and after with the only change being the carburetor.

Power: There is a great deal more power; even though the ported intake & other changes helped, all of those changes combined don't come close to what the Lectron does - on top of those additions. The power is super smooth, it's deceiving how smooth it is, almost like it's not more but any time you need it, it is there - quickly!

RPMs: In stock and pre - Lectron modified trim my Baja never bounced off of the rev limiter unless I was getting ready for a drag start. Now with the Lectron installed the machine gains RPMs FAST - seriously fast. The scary / cool thing is how smooth the power is, it doesn't FEEL like your gaining RPMs that fast. With the Lectron installed my Baja is constantly bouncing off of the rev limiter while in any gear I rode in over the weekend. (Pismo is not very big, so there isn't any tapping out of higher gears.) On the flat drags I was tapped out of RPM in third about half way down the run - having to shift into 4th while drag racing kinda sucks.

I must admit though - I know my "V" paddles have a lot of slip compared to straight paddles in drag racing applications and this could be a huge factor on why I'm not feeling as much acceleration. (I think my wheels are spinning pretty good.) I've got some tires on order that are 3lbs. lighter per tires than standard scat trak paddles and 1 lb. lighter per tire than the scat trak lightweight tires. (STU Padla Brats comp. cut.) They are in effect the same thing I've got now, but 9 paddle straight tires - meaning I've still got super low rotating mass but a lot more grip - hopefully without having too much.

Thumb pump: The billet thumb throttle is sweet to look at, though you might consider getting out of the colored units - the natural aluminum can be seriously bright when the sun reflects off of it in your eyes. Throttle tension for my setup is more than stock, but by no means a problem. The only part of the whole thumb push event that is annoying is off-idle when the engine is running or decelerating. Right off idle there is suction from the engine on the slide causing it to be stiff right at first pull. I was adjusting my throttle all weekend and noticed that as I got the carburetor more dialed in this was less and less of an issue. I have the sticky-ness to a minimum right now though I suspect as I tinker more I may get even more benefit.

My thumb throttle also got stuck big time on my first trip to Dumont with it installed - I'm not 100% sure where the sand got in to create problems but once I got the sand removed things seem to be mostly back to normal. I'd like to get some replacement plastic bushings (I think that is what they are) so that I can replace the ones I have in case they are damaged from that original sand blasting. Currently I'm also using a non-wet type of lubricant so there wont be any attractant to draw sand or dirt back into the throttle again.

I tried Sandaholic's throttle over the weekend and his throttle tension is less than mine, his is the same or perhaps even less than stock. I'm not sure what the differences are between his DS and mine but I'm curious to figure it out & see if I can get mine even easier. He has the modified stock throttle and he's getting the billet throttle soon so once he has that installed I'd like to compare side by side & see what is what.

Overall I don't think there is any way not to like this carburetor - it has gobs of power, right when you want it. The installation wasn't bad but if anyone wants help or pictures etc let me know & I can post some on my web page or hp photo page. Of all the changes I've made to my ATV over time, this without a doubt made the most notable change - it's somewhat amusing to be out duning and let the leader get some extra distance ahead then in the next flat-ish area hammer it and reel 'em in super quick - like I've never done before.

My only suggestion (aside from buy one of these pronto!) is if you don't want to spend the cash all at once to get the full setup from having nothing is to buy a couple of the components at a time as I did thus spreading out the cost & making the whole deal easier.

I'm seriously happy with my carburetor & I'm really happy I was finally able to get in some time using it especially riding with a couple of other good guys.

See you guys out on the dunes!

Old 05-05-2004 | 05:46 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Thanks for the review, that's what it's all about. One interesting thing to note, if anyone has ever posted anything negative about these carbs besides to complain about the price, I've never seen it. That in itself is one heck of a recomendation.

Old 05-05-2004 | 08:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Congrads and great review.

Old 05-05-2004 | 02:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if anyone has ever posted anything negative about these carbs besides to complain about the price, I've never seen it.
No complaints about power, but as mentioned here and many other posts about the carb, the slide sticking always has, and still is, an issue/complaint. This is not to dis the carb, as Lectron developed it for drag performance it would seem, but it is something that must be considered by all trail riders.

Old 05-05-2004 | 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Once again, this complaint surfaced about 1.5 months ago after MrHp changed the power settings due to more power found on the dyno. MrHp has resolved this with every customer that am aware of that has taken the time to make a phone call. If the customer is not comfortable making a single adjustment, they can send it in and he'll make the 2 minute adjustment. This probably applied to a couple dozen carbs over a 1 month period. I think all recent carbs that have gone out have had that resolved. At least he didn't tell them "tough luck, I'll fix MY problem for you for an additional fee!"

Darn, I sell the "other" carb too. You ought to be on my end of the phone calls on that one! And I don't have anyone to stand up behind me on that one.

Old 05-05-2004 | 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

I like to add my own little mini review. I have had the carb for a while now, but only have used it at the dunes. As I mentioned before it performs great and a great power boost over the whole rpm range. I just go back from Hungry Valley, a local trail riding area with some tight areas and some open fire roads. I was not concerned with the open fire roads, the performance was just like at the dunes, quick revving with constant power. My concern was the tight slow trails, with low rpms and where you would be on and off the throttle quickly.

Off idle was flawless, no lag, smooth power. I found I could lug up some hills that before I would have to down shift, now it just pulls and pulls (reminds me of my diesel truck). Areas of the technical trails where I was on the throttle then off, then back on where effortless just like the stock setup. On some long hill descents I use engine braking, down shifting into second or first to help slow me down. Towards the bottom of the hill, while the engine was still under load from engine braking, I noticed some slide sticking. Slightly more pressure had to be applied to lift the throttle. Keep in mind my thumb pressure normally is about stock, so I am not talking about allot of force to get over the initial stick. That is really the only time I noticed the sticking. I have not consulted with Eric about this as its really not an issue right now, maybe when I do my 730 w/ 14:1 it will become more of an issue and I will go from there.

Would I recommend the 46hv for trail riding? Honestly the trails that I ride, a bone stock bike has more power then can be utilized in that type of terrain. But for some one that does a little of everything; dune, desert, trail, then I would definitely recommend this carb. Sunday I was at the dunes at sea level, today (Wednesday) I was at the trails at 5000' elevation, all I did was change the paddles to knobbies and the quad ran flawlessly.

On a side note, Carbs can work great but you have to admit they are old technology. I feel the future is in EFI. I really would like to hear more from people running the KMS EFI or any other EFI system out there. I think performance will be a no brainier with EFI, but reliability is my main concern. I can fix a clogged jet in a carb, but I would have no clue where to start on an EFI control board!

Old 05-05-2004 | 09:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the slide sticking has been an issue for years, these carbs have been around longer than the super tuned MRHP model.
It can't be completely elliminated, because of the primative design, and nobody can deny that.
when you look at the constuction of other japenese carbs, you see where this issue has been addressed with bearing surfaces, etc., and the lectron is simply a groove with a slide in it.
but its great that MRHP has addressed it as best as can be, but that's all it is - best as can be. its not perfect, and can't be.

Old 05-05-2004 | 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Not trying to hijack this thread but on the issue of EFI, has anybody ever put the bmw f650 motorcycle motor w/ efi into a DS? I know the motor fits but what about the carbs, efi, etc. That would be sweet.

Old 05-05-2004 | 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

it may not be perfect. but its better than any other carb for power. you should just get it over with and go buy one.

Old 05-05-2004 | 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

I got some money in today....I'm really considering a 46HV. I tried calling MRHP but not home I guess. I will e-mail him.

You guys had any problems with wicking the throttle hard? I seemed to have tuned my carb today.. but a hard wick causes a slight bog or hesitation.

Quick Reply: BlackHawk's Lectron 46HV Review