CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bottm Line on the Lectron - honest as always

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottm Line on the Lectron - honest as always

I've heard and wrote a great deal about the Lectron HV46. The carb and even it's GURU have a tremendous amount of support. The TM has it's people and a tremendous amount of support. Kind of like the HOLLEY vs. CARTER war that has been raging for years.

Are there differences? YES

Do they both make great power? YES

Does the TM45 have a sick thumb pressure for most? YES
Can that pressure be overcome to an extent? YES

Does the Lectron have a SUCK SHUT problem? YES
Can the suck shut problem be overcome to an extent? YES

Notice I used the word "extent". Will the TM ever be perfect on the thumb pressure - NO. Nor will the suck shut ever go completely away. To be quite honest, I wrote the powers that be an email about my Lectron and the suckshut problems, and was actually going to go back to my stocker, and just let the power go. For some reason, Randy never received the email - I think something is wrong with your link..... Maybe just me though.....
Make NO mistake. With the exception of maybe fuel injection, nothing will feel as smooth or as tame as the stock carb. SUPER light thumb pressure, slow paced super-fine control, Perfect idle characteristics etc. etc. But it lacks the power needed by most. SUPER-Mario saved the HV from a slow death on ebay. He got the thing to idle fairly good and take most of the suck-shut problem away. Actually a night and day difference. MUCH more trailable now. I still think that some work needs to be done on the slide to make it PERFECT. I'll be working with it.... Might cost me some slides though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Hightower, I'm sure, feels like he's up against the wall most of the time. While I'm sure that MrHP is tired of the same ol' posts.
Hightower, your a true asset to the community, and your help is greatly appreciated. You are not alone! The TM45 works! I will say that for most of us who are extremely good at tuning normal carbs, the Lectron is a NIGHTMARE! Hense the importance of ERIC's work. I have yet to call with my problems, and feel that I will have to learn this thing myself. I can't call ERIC from Dumont!
MRHP, your following grows and your carbs work. I can honestly say that I've never felt more power on anything else that has been strapped to my sled. You continue to be the professional during all of the in-fighting. I'm sure that it's very hard at times.

Is the LECTRON perfect, NO

Is the TM perfect, NO

Both are SOLID and worth every penny. The TM is a little cheaper, but yields a few less ponies. In my personal opinion, the ponnies don't mean much. The torque increase is more than the HP increase. I've seen a TM48 vs a Lectron48 on the dyno, 20minutes apart. And while not the 46, the Lectron 48 made a great deal more torque than the TM48 across the 3K - 7K spectrum. I would assume that a similar occurance would take place with the 46 VS 45. I know that the SEAT-o-the-pants confirms my assumption.

For those that run twist, I'm not sure either the SUCK-SHUT or the SICK-THUMB will be a problem.

Let's remember, in all the arguments concerning our DS's, we're all brothers in the same battle. The DS battle and the Human battle.

bigDADDY

Old 05-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

This is my opinion of the comparisons. I just read on another thread that the lectron only yeilded a 2 hp gain. Was that peak gain or what? How was the power curve? did it make more torque. I know and you know Mike, that there is a major gain. I think the difference is, Maybe the TM 48 did only have 2 hp less, BUT on my dyno sheets I was peaking @8000- 8500 momentarily and my torque curve was steady across and down with the TM 48.

With the lectron 48 I started peak torque @ 3500rpm (@6-7ft lb more peak) and ran steadily down from there as rpms gained as usual.
My peak "HP" with the lecron started @ 6000rpm and ran straight across flat to 8500+ w/ a few more peak hp and climbing THAT IS WHERE YOU SEE THE POWER GAINS, ITS CALLED FASTER ACCELORATION. Faster reving and makeing more ponies earlier on got me up the hill alot quiker. Does this make sense.

I understand the skeptisism, My thoerys need not apply for trail riders, as I only run in a straight line and have not encountered any stick issues w/ mine. If there are throttle issues thats for the rider to decide. I just wanted to show where and how the carb is really makeing more power faster.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

BigDaddy you're bad man, in the good kinda way of course.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
This is it, we've all siad all that needs said, its all out there for everybody to weigh. I have no more to add.
I agree, we're all brothers!
I will be in Utah same time as you, but I won't be able to come down to Coral Pink, not enough time. I sure would like to though, just to hang and ride, and have a good time with good people.
Ride On

Old 05-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

I still want a HV46.....

Anyone interested in a 44mm Lectron?

the suck shut problem is revlevant on even the smaller cousin of the 46 lectron.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dudes, i sold my DS and dont come around here too much anymore.. but once in awhile... i cant belive all the posts still going on about lectron!... i had one.. there the shizznut... and MrHP is a great dude to deal with.... but why dont ya'll stop trying to convince each other witch one to buy/ or which is better... save the proof till ya got $100 bones on the line at the Sand Drag strip... consider it your lil secret...... or sure tell people who ask that its a great product.. but you guys post and post about this.. whats the point.. ya'll own what ya like.. so you win... dudes that love TM, have um... dudes who love their Lectrons.. money well spent.. its a win, win situation...(till you get to the drag strip).... so what gives?
JJ....

Old 05-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jetjock16
Dudes, i sold my DS and dont come around here too much anymore.. but once in awhile... i cant belive all the posts still going on about lectron!... i had one.. there the shizznut... and MrHP is a great dude to deal with.... but why dont ya'll stop trying to convince each other witch one to buy/ or which is better... save the proof till ya got $100 bones on the line at the Sand Drag strip... consider it your lil secret...... or sure tell people who ask that its a great product.. but you guys post and post about this.. whats the point.. ya'll own what ya like.. so you win... dudes that love TM, have um... dudes who love their Lectrons.. money well spent.. its a win, win situation...(till you get to the drag strip).... so what gives?
JJ....

True dat, true dat......... Ive been thinking the same, but it isnt easy to get "full" potential out of the lectron, thats most the battle. So I cant help tune anyones carb who poses a threat for now on, no joke here either..LOL

Old 05-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

so which is better the tm45 or the 46Hv...JK..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

keep in mind, presenting the facts as they are is all I ever strived for, and most others too for that matter I'm sure. its not all about which is better - better can be defined in many ways. Safety is what I've been talking about lately, but its trampled by power.

Okay, honest, I'm out...
no, really....

Old 05-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER
Originally posted by: jetjock16
JJ....

True dat, true dat......... Ive been thinking the same, but it isnt easy to get "full" potential out of the lectron, thats most the battle. So I cant help tune anyones carb who poses a threat for now on, no joke here either..LOL
Just bought my buddies DS650 with only 6 hours on it he had the 14:1 piston/weber cams/blk box/Lectrons 48 I did notice it had a like drag when I rode it and I thought it was the twist throttle problem but now I know the real story, I just put the factory carb on it and I haven't even rode it since I bought it, tell me what to expect of the difference between the two carbs and what could I do to lighten up the suck problem! didn't anyone do their homework on this carb before they built it??? Sounds like a major flaw and it my get real old riding it with the drag on it...hard on the thumb???Help I'm a newbie to all this Bomb stuff, I paid him $5500 for it was that a good deal 04 model 6 hours look at the picks, he had over 8500 in it! it runs strong scary strong. Help me on this carb thing please what do I want the stocker or the 48 can it be fixed with graphite or something????

Old 05-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Huskerjim-I tune my bike out @ pabco off vegas valley and hollywood, up off sunrise mountain on a paved road, Bring that monster out and lets see what shes got. That drag might be easy to fix.

wHOOPS, that would be a long drive from Reno.

Quick Reply: Bottm Line on the Lectron - honest as always