CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds or banshee

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 01:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds or banshee

I heard that the ds 650 had some problems for some slightly older models. I have a 95 banshee with fmf sst pipes and silencers, wiseco hot rods crank, wiseco performance pistons, slightly bored over cylinders, lsr steering stem, k&n filter in stock airbox, dura blue axle, and a few other things i probably forgot about. I bought it about 3 months ago. When i got it, it had a leak between the head and cylinder. I got the stud fixed, rode it for about an hour, then blew a top end. When i go to replace the top end, it turns out i needed a new crank. I am tired of dealing with these damn problems on this piece of !@#$. Before i bought it, my uncle tried to get me to buy his stock 2001 bombardier ds-650. He said he blows away stock banshees and raptors. I just want to know what kind of problems occur with the ds and how fast is the ds really. If i do get this bike, i will probably put a full trinity exhaust on it because i read that they were pretty good, or if anyone has any other pipe suggestions.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ds or banshee

Do a search on pipes and used DS's / DS Reliability.

There is so much already written on all this.

Bottom line though. . . a buddy of mine just got a DS and is selling his Zilla. Hasn't looked back.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default ds or banshee

If I must say so myself....

I sold my trusted '94 Banshee ... (94 Banshee pictures)
She was ported and polished... blah, blah, blah. But mostly built for desert racing. Even though I didn't race. But I always hated the chain adjusters.... HATED THEM. And I had all the trick stuff ... but still wasn't pleased. I constantly had to keep up on the Bansh... Loved the 60 horses it produced... It was reliable even after being built... but I couldn't ride it in Mexico as it needed better fuel (after doing mods to the motor... to pull the additional weight I strapped to it).... again, blah blah blah....

I sold the Bansh for $6800. And went directly to the local dealer and bought a '03 DS Baja for $6200 (click on link in sig). Never looked back. And am soooo happy ... I just ride it. Wash it, change the oil... and ride it some more!! Oh ya... did I mention... no mixing fuel?!?!? I love it!!! And I ride this thing in Mexico.... for miles, never ever gives me trouble. Even on PEMEX's wonderfull 82 octane gasolinera.

The only thing I see... is both bikes are TOTALLY different machines.
Banshee - Light, Peeeeky power band, small in width and height. Needs mixed fuel.
BOMB - Heavy, smooth power, grunt torque, large and in charge size.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ds or banshee

The only two problems I remember on early Ds models were the fans, and chain rollers. Both were fixed with newer models.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default ds or banshee

I agree with Johnnyairtime. I had a 98 'shee with motor work, suspension, etc. I traded it about 3 months ago for a 2000 DS. If riding fast, for extended periods is your forte, the DS is a much better quad. I've had it in the dunes, and it was unreal. I'd just picked it up, and didn't even have paddle tires for it. The thing went everywhere, even up china wall!!! As a matter of fact, I went on a 3 hour dune ride on my DS, that would have crippled me on the 'shee. From what I've read on this forum, you can make them ungodly fast, at a reasonable price. The only downside to the DS is lack of aftermarket goods. Fortunately there are some folks around here who are seeing to this problem, and are coming out with quality products.
As far as top speed, a stock DS is probably as fast on top end as a piped 'shee. I read on this forum, that a stock DS has the power to allow you to change gearing and get 85 mph.
Something else to consider, ther ergos on the DS are so much better than the 'shee's 80's design. It's basically like riding a couch....

Old 05-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.
Default ds or banshee

BOTH ![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2004, 09:11 PM
MTX
Pro Rider
Default ds or banshee

well if you dune ride, i would get ds650, nice smooth cadilac ride and good suspension, get a pipe + filter and good paddles and you will prob smoke piped shees

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ds or banshee

thanks guys, i'll probably go pick my uncle's ds and check it out. it sounds like a pretty sweet ride.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default ds or banshee

Cool!!! Considering your buying from family, you should feel safe in not getting a lemon. (Hopefully)

Old 05-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default ds or banshee

Originally posted by: Freakneh
I agree with Johnnyairtime. ~ snip ~ I've had it in the dunes, and it was unreal. I'd just picked it up, and didn't even have paddle tires for it. The thing went everywhere, even up china wall!!! As a matter of fact, I went on a 3 hour dune ride on my DS, that would have crippled me on the 'shee. ~ snip ~ It's basically like riding a couch....
Thanks Freak... I too had to highlight your comments....

I was flabbergasted at how well it did with new stock tires in the sand. I was in Glamis for a couple weeks... and my buddy was bringing out my paddles the second week. Heck.... I didn't really need them. But it made for easy wheelies with 'em. Other than that.... ya, it's a damn Caddilac. Get tall seat foam for it... and it goes from Couch status... to LAAAA ZEEE BOY!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ds or banshee