CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds or raptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2000, 01:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great point Tim1. I am open for reasonable questions like this one. This kind of thing can only be found out after some extended riding time, and abuse. Totally agree. I do feel the frame was designed very well and that it was taken into consideration, but nobody knows for sure. Does look and test like a good aftermarket frame does, so Im hopin she will hold up to the power the engine cranks out. Thanks though, for putting this question on my mind...it will be something Ill keep an eye on.

Also, to whoever it was that asked about the HorsePower....well, its been tested and reviewed, and even though we dont know the actual numbers, the testers, reviewers, and Yamaha, state that it puts out more Horsepower than the DS, (alot lighter too), AND it has "more" HP than the street bike it came from, which HAD 45 , so what number would you say ---- exactly, 45+ . Just for those who havent came across any posts of mine, I will not blatently throw BS out there. I only speak what I find out myself, and trust me, Im doing some heavy research on this sucker, cause I ordered one the day it was released. Gotta know whats up ya know ? And no, Im not a former Yamaha-head - I currently own a 400L Sport (trails, wicked hills, and drags), and never owned a Yamaha - but thats changed now.

Later.

Old 08-04-2000, 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

FYI: www.holeshot.com/mz/mzsc.html shows the MZ at 41HP stock. 46HP w/42mm single flatside carb w/slipon exhaust. Peak HP does not tell the whole story. We need to see dyno curves to compare different motors. We don't know exactly where in the HP curve Yamaha made improvements. It is possible that there isn't more PEAK HP beyond the MZ, but instead an extended RPM range at near peak HP. Who knows.

Old 08-04-2000, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

You guys want to know what I find really stupid about this HP issue... it doesn't really matter unless your racing for a living and even then it's the guy/girl that can ride that will win. Are you guys really going to sit and drag race each other all day long every day you ride? I'll tell what is important about top speed... getting back to camp in time so you don't S&*# your pants... now that's sooo important. You either have the power to make the hill or not.. but it's the guy with the Ti sack that will make it up there no matter what quad he's riding. I know it's fun to beat each other in a drag race but there are much better ways of riding than that. Lets all wait on this new quad... if you want to flame the lozer go for it but remember it's still not the lowest quad in the pile.

Old 08-04-2000, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

I concure. I am also not sure that there have been any quantifiable results as far as top speed or HP figures. Probably because they are only testing pre-production prototypes. Everybody is just gonna have to wait until the thing arrives on your doorstep.

Old 08-05-2000, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

hey bomberd, if your looking for a trail machine
the ds650 is not the way to go. i have rode the ds650 my buddy has 1, and he is selling it. now before you ds650 owners get your panties in an uproar, i am not bashing the quad.

it does hall some butt thou!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2000, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

I would have to agree that it is not a 'trail' riding machine. The width would be the biggest problem unless you have really wide trails. In stock form its geard too high for trails in my opinion but that could be changed with sprocket modifications but at the same time lowering top speed. Who needs to be going 70+ MPH on trails anyway. I like the width and weight for stability reasons and its got plenty of HP for the weight for my liking.

Old 08-06-2000, 03:38 AM
DS
Trailblazer

Hey scooby did you hear somthing?