CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Vortex or MSD

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004 | 11:27 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

One thing I'm considering on the never ending quest of upgrading is a new rev box. I already have a Graydon Proline model but I would like the fact to have someting to change the curve on the fly. Anyone with either rev box want to give us the good, bad and ugly of each. I'm curious.

I've heard that the MSD produces a lot of spark and comes with it's own coils. Anyone wanna verify that?

Old 05-12-2004 | 11:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

the msd comes with dual coils but isn't gary the one that sells them?

Old 05-12-2004 | 11:43 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

DO you own the MSD Sandman? If so how does it perform? How about changing the ignition curves. Yes I've spoken to Gary about it. He did take the time out and explain some of the curve questions I had in store for him.

Old 05-12-2004 | 11:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

no at this point i don't own a msd, i run the woods cdi. sandbomber is going tyo sell me his. but he may have decided to keep his. at this point i'm not seeing any make a hugh difference, this is just based on side by side runs, one of our riding friends that you may have read about named parker has one and i'm not sure we saw a difference, he had he cam time reworked and that made a hugh difference, he runs the 760 pami race head. our big area of concern now is the carbaration, i talked to pete at powroll, they did the 770 raptor and i ask how much carb was needed he said 55mm, so even with the 48 were coming in small the dual 39's are about 52mm from what i'm told. this is the area i'm going to focus for the moment. jeff inriver city has a monster machine running duals so i've seen what they can do.

Old 05-13-2004 | 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

Entomber I am going to take it upon myself to enlighten you on this one. Do not buy the MSD! THe Vortex is easier and smaller and not to mention Cheaper!

Old 05-13-2004 | 09:48 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

I've spoken to MRHP and I had a lenghty discussion about dual carbs. One of the reasons I'm kind of partial to MRHP because he DYNOs his stuff. He told me that a 48 out performed a dual carb setup on the dyno. I found it hard to believe and I forgot the details cause personally dual carbs sounds nice but man o man it can be a pain (My Raptor is sting in the rear in that dept). Jeffnrivercity does have one monsterous machine. I would love to see it in action someday. I rarely see him here these days.

Punisher how much is a vortex. I was just comparing notes but I was leaning more towards the Vortex. I like the idea of having a switch to select timing curve on the handlebars instead of dip switches on the actual rev box.

Old 05-13-2004 | 11:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

Originally posted by: Entomber
I've spoken to MRHP and I had a lenghty discussion about dual carbs. One of the reasons I'm kind of partial to MRHP because he DYNOs his stuff. He told me that a 48 out performed a dual carb setup on the dyno.
That may be on a stock bike but, on a 720 / 760 has that been tested? You need a lot more air flow for the big bores.

Old 05-13-2004 | 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

I got the vortex and like it alot. the traction switch put out 3hp more on the dyno from 3k to 6500k RPM then switch on the fly. Do you have a tach? If you do your tack won't work with the MSD. you will have to buy another tach.

Old 05-13-2004 | 04:44 PM
Range Rover
Default Vortex or MSD

actually the tach will work with the msd box, gary just figured it out and its a realy simple hookup to the stock tach.

Old 05-13-2004 | 04:53 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default Vortex or MSD

I have the MSD and the stock tach works if you hook it up like stock (to the coil). It will not work with the MSD tach lead because that lead sends a square wave signal that the Autometer can't read. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Vortex or MSD