CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

REV LIMITER , WHO MAKES THE BEST

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REV LIMITER , WHO MAKES THE BEST

Steve, It's supposed to be just plug and go. 5 minutes work, I'm told. I'll be changing my next year, so I don't know have the personnal experience yet.

Did you drop any teeth in the back? I thought 17/38 should give you at least 85 mph.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The CDI is plug in and forget it - for the most part. However here is where Ron Woods and gang falls flat on his face in the mud and can't get out to save his life.

In 2002, Bombardier changed the plug on the DS650, and ever since then, it's been this new style plug. To my knowledge as of late 2003 for sure and I'm quite sure now, Ron Woods STILL HAS NOT CHANGED HIS PLUG TYPE! The only DS650s his CDI will plug directly into are the 2000 and 2001 models. (Perhaps the 2002 'normal' DS650s, but I don't know for sure.) If you want to use a Ron Woods CDI (which is a good product) you have to make you DS650 a hack job (IMHO) by removing the plug, and then plugging in pin by pin, then use shrink wrap or something else to hold it together then pray that it hold together. Mst people don't have too many problems with this, but there are a lot of other companies out there making CDIs which are just as good or better, that don't need to be jury rigged to get them to work. I think Ron Woods & gang REALLY needs to wake up and provide their loyal PAYING customers with an updated version of the CDI. It would take almost no work at all for them to do this, they already know the pin out & I'm sure having the company who sells them their CDIs change the plug style on 3/4 of their next order is no big deal.

These Ron Woods guys are from Orange County, CA. This is where I grew up and I can't believe that someone from that area would be that out of touch with reality but I guess there is a Black Sheep in every community.

Maybe We'll get lucky, someone from Ron Woods will realize this is a problem of theirs (or maybe they'll read my ever-so-loving post) and do soemthing to fix it. Every other major CDI manufacturer has two versions, and if a shop was only going to carry one version wouldn't it be wise to carry the version for the majority of the machines out there?

Old 05-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

NO I LEFT THE BACK SPOCKET ALONE. JUST CHANGED THE FRONT TO A 17. BUT MAYBE BECAUSE THE BIKE ONLY HAS 80 MILES ON OR SO.THE STOCK GEARING FELT BETTER ON TOP. THATS WHY I'M LOOKING IN TO GETTING A DIFFERENT CDI . THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO GET SOME MORE RPM {1000 OR SO} OUT OF IT. I HOPE.
DO YOU GET ANY MORE SPEED AFTER BREAK IN.

2004 BAJA X
K& N FILTER
17 TOOTH SPROCKET
22 MUD LITE TIRES
MOD END CAP ON FRIDAY AFTER UPS GETS HERE

Old 05-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Steve, I see that you are also running 22's with a 17 front seems too high. I know I run my 15 tooth for the dunes and hill climbs and my stock for everything else. I have 22's but I also have a 720 motor. I think you should switch back if you have a stock motor. Do you really want to ride your quad doing 80mph. I want to get to 70mph ASAP. I have been on mine doing 88mph (GPS) and I don't think I would want to go that fast on a regular basis. What do you guys thinks. I know a lot of you are running 14 or 15 teeth up front. AZ or Scooby run a 17 but look at there power.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think for most people if they gear down, they'll end up using first gear less (though for tight technical stuff it will work even better) & they'll end up using a variety of higher gears and end up being much happier. I think you might consider a 15 tooth front sprocket and see if that makes your ride a little better than the 17 tooth.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

OK , I LIKED THE WAY IT FELT WITH A 16 TOOTH. BUT IT HITS THE REV LIMITER TOO QUICK.THAT WHY I'M LOOKING INTO A CDI BOX. IS PROCOMM A GOOD NAME , THEY ARE SELLING FOR AROUND 100 BUCKS ON EBAY. BUT ONLY COME WITH A 30 DAY WARR.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

As far as I know the Procomm boxes have a one year warranty. I've spoken with an employee of Procomm on another forum and they seem to stand behind their product. You mention hitting the rev limiter is the problem, and I understand that. But here is why gearing down works better, than gearing up: by gearing down, you'll likely be running in a higher gear, and now you wont be nearly as likely to hit the rev limiter. Buying a CDI box is not a bad idea & I'd suggest you get one anyhow, but I know of one other guy from another forum who was complaining about hitting the rev limiter & after discussing the issue, he geared down and then became very happy with the results. If you aren't 100% sure if it is a good idea for you, then buy one of the $12.99 sprockets from Rocky Mountain ATV, if you don't like the change it certainly wont put you out anything other than the time to do the install.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

WELL I'M GOING TO TRY THE CDI ON EBAY FROM PROCOM. 100 BUCKS 1000 MORE RPM.ALSO ADDING MOD END CAP.
MIGHT GO BACK TO 16 TOOTH. NEED TO TRY IT FIRST. BUT I LIKE PULLING AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS GOING DOWN A LONG ROAD. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
STEVE

Old 05-24-2004, 11:23 AM
cop
Pro Rider

I use a 17T front, Ron Woods clutch springs and a K&N W/ stock jetting. I got 81.9 mph on my gps and on stalker radar.