CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

what method to read exhaust gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what method to read exhaust gas?

I am having issues getting my carb dialed in (its a slow process for me and the wheather has been changing a lot) is there a tool i can use to read my exhaust to see its fat/lean? (is it worth the cost or is it easier to just "read" the bike by how it rides?

I am worried about going out to LS utah next week as i dont want to spend the entire time trying to get the thing to run decently....

Old 05-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.knfilters.com/airfuelmonitors.htm

Old 05-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting link

Does any one know if u can test with a gas analiser at differant throttle positions with no load on the engine and get an accurate reading as i would like to sniff test my ds to ensure its not to lean, (bad past experiance with lean engines)

Old 05-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Does any one know if u can test with a gas analiser at differant throttle positions with no load on the engine and get an accurate reading
Yes you can, and it works great.

Old 05-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Looking at theses air/fuel monitors, it seems it would be a great tool to get the jetting right on. It seems pretty simple, just an oxygen sensor and an LED read out. It says that leaded gas will ruin the oxygen sensor and you can't clean the sensor. What to do if you are running leaded race fuel? What do the dynos use to sniff the air/fuel ratio?

Old 05-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt mind purchasing one of these as long as they dont cost over 100 (dont know but im guessing most of them do...)

would be great to be able to check to make sure my jetting is SPOT ON at the various places we ride

Old 05-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

Just got off the phone with a local dealer and he's telling me 246.95 is retail for the complete kit(K&N 85-2437). The only think I'm wondering is where would be the best place to mount the 02 sensor. It would worth splitting the cost with several people if after mounting the sensor you could remove it and plug the hole so other's could use it. What do you guy's thing? Could work, maybe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

i searched "exhaust sniffer" on ebay to find a unit for 150 or 160 last night...dont know anything about them so i wouldnt know what to look for in one...

Old 05-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

I would think the sensor should go in the mid pipe. I had a hard time finding a spot for the oil pressure gauge. so, I would like to just use it to check and adjust. then just keep the whole unit in the tool box.the sensor would probably last longer that way. I like it. I think I will get one.

Old 05-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have the O2 sensor on my DS and an guage that I can mount on my bars to give me realtime readouts. BUT Ill be damned if Im going to pay the stupid prices that some people charge. If you have some simple automotive experiance with 12volt wiring, this is a breeze. Go to Napa / Autozone / Checker and get an o2 sensor for a Honda car or something like that. Get the one wire version vs the two wire style. The Two wire is set up to pre heat the sensor so it gives you a proper readout faster. This isnt needed for the DS. All you have to do is let the DS warm up till you see the guage start to read, it only take a min. or two to warm up the sensor. The other thing you need to purchase is and o2 guage. This can be gotten from any Automotive Performance shop. One note about the LED guages is that even in the daytime they are hard to see. Best at dusk or in the garage. Next youll need to go to a muffler shop and get a o2 sensor meld in mount ( called a " bung" ). Take off your headers and mount the bung on the top of the pipe just a few inches after the two headers come togeter int one pipe. Drill the hole for the sensor before you weld in the bung and make sure you sure ist bigenought for the tip of the sensor. Not drilling the hole first will cause you heart ache if you try to drill in the middle of the bung and screw up the threads. youll have to grind it off and start over.
Install the pipes back in and then screw the o2 sensor in. Best to use a high temp non sieze paste on the threads being carefull NOT to get any on the sensor tip. Wire the whole thing together and fire it up. Give it a few min to warm up and youll notice that the led starts to move. Then you tuning work starts from there !

LED guage = 35.00
o2 Sensor = 25.00
Weld in Bung = 20.00
Misc wire = 2.00

Having a better way to tune your DS ----- Priceless !!

Prozack..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: what method to read exhaust gas?