CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

This is why REV Limiters are Required - see damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why REV Limiters are Required - see damage

For now I'm still going to usa a stock head and stock cylinder since I already have a spare set.

The head cannot be buffed, it is damaged and is not of much use. it can be welded and "re-designed" but I won't bother. the valve seats were broken out of the head.

The PAMI valve springs are about 2 years old. I was using an extra 0.060" shim under the bottoms of the springs for a little more seat pressure. The PAMI springs don't have much more seat pressure than stock, but have more pressure at full lift.

I guess it could have been worse. The motor didn't lock up. It was instant loss of compression when the intakes broke. The motor just shut off and I heard some loose metal as it spun down. I was at full throttle and the RPM was over 10,000, but speed was only around 60. The piston does have a deep groove in it but didn't make it all the way through. No metal went into the bottom end of motor.

These were stock valves. I'd like some lighter stock size stock angle valves but titanium sounds super expensive???

I had the vortex CDI on (custom programmed) with rev limit set to 11000.

I have had probelms with the intakes bending in the past and I did have a broken intake valve before when I had no rev limit. I guess I was warned. I added the rev limiter but the PAMI springs aren't good enough.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

I guess the DS wasn't meant to rev that high. Is high rev absolutely critical for your setup? Perhaps a lower rev limit would be in your best interest (just shooting ideas not trying to sound like a smarta$$).

I've first heard of titanium valves from MRHP. I don't know where you can get them but give him a call. From the sounds of it, I don't think they are very expensive and I'm they would be worth it.

What valve springs will you be going with. Try TVI or MRHP see what they can offer.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Just a reminder for all you people that run turbos. Remember that the valve diameter times the boost pressure will give you the amount of spring pressure drop. On a small valve this is not too bad, but when you get up in the bigger valves; the back side of the intake valve can see lots of resistance.
Sometimes this can make the difference between "go and blow."