CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Noob wants 46hv carb explained!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob wants 46hv carb explained!

alright i have hmf pipe, kn filter (in box with lid on) big gun cdi, & ported intake (mr hp)
I would like to get a carb that isnt as picky as stock (i just got back from a trip where we rode in wyoming, little sahara utah, and in colorado...and i had to rejet for each day of riding (my home is at 800ft, and i rode anywhere from 3k to 7k feet on the trip)

Can someone explain how the 46hv works? (i have read they use "power" jets and no mains (is there a pilot/starter/needle?)

Also what is the fuel pump accelerator? (comes with the 46hv or is somthing you buy sep and add to the carb?) i have read some people have it, but never use it (somthing difficult needed to install/tune/run the pump?)

in reviews of the 46hv i saw that you can change from 1k altitude and go to say 5k without changing anything on the carb, is this true? (how do you tune the carb if you do go beyond the 5k...to say 8k feet?)

What is the total cost needed to install one with a thumb throttle on the DS? I definately want a thumb (i have run DB's with twist and have many a time cased a jump and accidentally blipped the throttle lol)

So the carb is 550 from mr hp? (i assume i would have to do a bit of tuning to get it perfect?) then the moose billet throttle is what 150? are there any other thumb throttle options?

sorry for all the questions but i have attempted searching many times only to come up empty handed as to how the 46 works.

Thanks a ton guys! (i would love to have the extra HP, and being able to go from 90 degree weather to 30 degree weather or 1k feet to 6k feet without having to adjust the carb would be awesome [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

lectron info

Old 06-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Can someone explain how the 46hv works? (i have read they use "power" jets and no mains (is there a pilot/starter/needle?)
The 46HV has a needle attached to the bottom of the slide called a metering rod. The metering rod looks similar to the needle on the stock carb except it is flat on one side. The stock carb needle can adjust its height by moving the clip up or down, on the 46HV you simply twist the metering rod to change its height. Metering rods can be replaced with different tapers. The 46hv also has a power jet, it kicks in around full throttle. Other adjustable items are the idle screw and a air/fuel screw which adjust the idle and off idle air/fuel ratio.

Also what is the fuel pump accelerator? (comes with the 46hv or is something you buy sep and add to the carb?) i have read some people have it, but never use it (something difficult needed to install/tune/run the pump?)
The 46HV does not have an accelerator pump. The TM45 does.

in reviews of the 46hv i saw that you can change from 1k altitude and go to say 5k without changing anything on the carb, is this true? (how do you tune the carb if you do go beyond the 5k...to say 8k feet?)
Some people suggested that the 46HV is not as sensitive to elevation changes as other carbs. I don't know if anyone ever proved this or not. The 46HV can be tuned to run at any elevation. The question is what is the range of elevation change before tuning changes need to be made. Keep in mind there are other factors such as temp and humidity that have an effect of air/fuel ratio.

So the carb is 550 from mr hp? (i assume i would have to do a bit of tuning to get it perfect?) then the moose billet throttle is what 150? are there any other thumb throttle options?
The price on the 46HV is $550 from mr.HP and his dealers. The billet throttle and cable is $125. Other options would be twist throttle. I used to run a modified stock thumb throttle. It had a large hole on the side and other grinding on the inside, it worked well but could not open the carb the full amount(almost full though). I know have the billet throttle, the fit and finish are great and have no problem opening the carb to wide open. As far as tuning out the box, mr.HP will ask you question about where you ride and your current mods, from there he will ship you out a carb that is closely tuned to you quad. A few turns of the metering rod may be all you need to be spot on.

Check on my web site, I have a few pictures of the 46HV

Old 06-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

cool site. Thats another thing, with the 46hv can i run the stock air box? i have to leave soon so wasnt able to read ur whole mods list but i noticed you run without an airbox, but dont have a carb mount filter either.

I ride in just about everything from water/sand/dirt/snow so i would LIKE to run an airbox. (does running the KN inside the box hamper the 46hv's performance? will running without the box be a huge gain?

Old 06-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

I don't encouter water, mud or other stuff like that where I ride so I ditched the air box, but I kept the air tube. I believe mr.HP can properly tune the 46HV for whatever airbox setup you have.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

yes, you can run with the air box on. if I remember right, you just leave the lid off and snorkles off.

the cable is another $30 on top of the $125 for the thumb throttle.

you loose very little preformance with the box on. probably not even noticable.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

ok thats good to know. at least most of the filter is covered with lid off/snorkels off....

Ya i would sacrifice some power just to keep the filter free of large debris (with out a box i would be worried i would get sand/water in there)