CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How do I adjust the valves in my DS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I adjust the valves in my DS

Hello guys,

Could someone please explain this screwy valvetrain to me. Well lets see here, where to start, recently I was out at our local riding spot( we simply call it the dunes, very soft and sandy ) and I had finally gotten my DS straightend out, so I thought, after just replacing the battery and the starter in 1 week and installing a ron woods cdi. I thought with my mods (see below) I thought I could hang pretty good with everyone. Well lets just say I lost to a G@& D@#! kfx400!! in a drag race. Well I just maybe figured the guy had put alot of money into his 400 I mean I did out weight him by a good 80 lbs. So I hang out awhile, and another DS shows up well he proceeds to wax the kfx no problems 3 lengths. So I go over and talk to the guy all he has done is a pipe and k&n(we both have 15 tooth front sprocket and jetted the same) well he proceeds to let me ride his bike and I mean it halls!!

I have tried to run the valves but my crappy manuel is way to vage. Here is the instructions remove cams and adjust spacers accordingly, ok I may have exadurated that a little but that is what it mite as well say. I tore into it, took out the cams and everything but I see no F*&%$#@ spacers what are they talking about!

I found that the intake valves are very tight the exaust is ok could the tight intake valves cause my power loss? And where in the heck are these spacers the bombardier shop manual talks about?

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRICIATED!

Old 06-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I adjust the valves in my DS

First off. . . don't let yourself get so worked up. Send me a PM and I'll give you my number. Give me a call and I can walk you through it.

Directly answering your question, the cams ride right on the spacers.

The spacers are like mini poker chips that are various thicknesses. They sit on top of the valve buckets.

Can you find TDC ok?
Did you find the notch in the crank through the allen in front of your shifter? Check my pic page for a look at a crank out of the engine and you can see the groove in the crank.

Do you have a good set of feeler gauges?

What are your clearances now:

Exhaust Left: Exhaust Right:
Intake Left: Intake Right:

Do you have a micrometer to measure the shim thickness?

If so, document it here:

Exhaust Left: Exhaust Right:
Intake Left: Intake Right:

Be sure to write it down, it will save you time on future valve checks.

Also, go Here for even more info.

This engine has been in the BMW F650 for years so there is a bunch of info on it.

Get the valves adjusted then see how she performs before looking at other things.