CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

TM-45 CARB and Hightower

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Air
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TM-45 CARB and Hightower

I wouldnt go to a lectron unless all you do is dune. The couple of extra HP are lost in frustrations in the mountains

Old 06-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

I have looked at the Lectrons. Personally I haven't been all that empressed. Besides I see more of them setting on the shelf over at K&T Performance (Muchmores) than I do on the Machines.

The TM (HSR)-45 is a great carb, very easy to tune. Just got to work on the throttle pull. I am going to try what SAM suggested...

Old 06-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes I use a TM45 with pumper on the thumb, and Sam is right I played with the two springs that are available from RWR for the throttle return until I came up with an arrangement that is stiff enough to operate the pumper while still allowing for easy thumb pull. But I'm using the light spring twisted to be just tight enough to operate the pump, as apposed to the heavy one twsited the other way. I think I told him the opposite by mistake a while back...

Its simple though - trial and error as mentioned. twist it in your hands, install, and try her out. no need to leave the garage or stop the bike. just get it tweeked to the point being stiff enough to fully close the slide, and you'll find that it is much lighter the heavy spring from factory and the pump is super sweet on trails man!! Its a log hopping, rut jumpin, super wheelier of a machine using the #50 pump nozzle aimed directly at the needle. the 60 and 70 are too rich at anything other than sea level, and I tried spraying to the side of the needle as well as on it and like it better on it.

The stock cable is superiror, the RWR cable is too heavy braid and really drags. you just gotta grind off the nut on the end of the stock cable and it'll slip right into the cable sleeve on the TM45.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Sounds like K&T Performance doesn't know how to tune a Lectron.

MrHorsepower

Old 06-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well like I always say there is more to a good bike and a good carb than just power, and if you do anything other than Drag Racing then the mikuni is the better carb on the trails, lots of mountain trail riders in Utah, most of which don't wanna put up with the sticky icky throttle setup of that Lectron even though the Lectron can give you an hp edge in a drag it doesn't matter unless that's all you want it for.

bamaboy if you're building a drag bike, or a hillshooter, yes the Lectron is the power choice, but if its a trail bike you will be quite happy with the mikuni if you tune it well. and the math is simple and foolproof for your altitude jetting changes, pm me if you wanna....

Old 06-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Bamaboy- Some things arent makeing sence to me. You are looking for power, But your worried about a measly throttle pull.
If your worried about throttle pull, it seems you are a trail rider. If you want more power for racing, maybe you shouldnt let a little bit harder of a pull to bother you.

And If you have not heard much good things about the lectron, why havent you came across my dyno results back to baCK W/ Mr hp LECTRON 48 hv VS (my)TM 48 that was tuned on for almost a year by me and compared on the dyno.

The Mr Hp lectron power curve and #s were substantially higher than the tm 48. And the torqe and HP came on WAY earlier... But if your worried about a throttle pull, keep the stocker. I run a twist and it is a peice of cake for the lectron 48.

I read another post of yours looking for more power. You really want to know what I would do if I were you?

Take it for what its worth, heres what I would do for 3k--Mr hp 730 jug and piston, port head and intake, leave the stock cams and valves in and dump a lectron 48mm to breath good.

Old 06-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Lot's of experience with both. And have a mixed bag, that you, yourself will have to pull from. I had the stock carb dyno tuned for about an hour to make max HP. Then went to a TM45 after about 8 months. Had the TM dyno tuned for about 3 hours for max HP. Had that for about 6 months and then went to the Lectron to see what all the fuss is about...... In the middle of all that, went back to the stock once or twice while between the TM and the Lectron.

Lectron makes sick power, and it is a noticable difference going up the hill. Had some stuck shut problems in the beginning, and with a little work and help from a buddy, I took care of most of it.

TM 45 makes good power, but the thumb pull was REAL bad for me. I just didn't have the magic like Hightower did, as I couldn't make mine comfortable. Tried the two different springs, but just could get it. With the 60% clutch springs and the gross pull on the thumb, my riding experiece was fading. Especially maddening when you would hop on a stocker - pure silk in the stock form.

Stock made good power after the dyno, and still makes good power. Maybe a scratch more on the bottom than the TM. That said, as soon as you were off the bottom, the TM handled it pretty easy.

I now ride with the Lectron, and feel that it's a pretty good carb. Still some research that needs to be done in a couple of areas in order to get an A+ in my book.
First, the idle SUCKS compared to the stock and the TM. In my opinion, the idle circuit on the carb needs to be further tweeked. Remember that these carbs were NEVER meant to run in a trail bike. They were made as DRAG carbs. When you get rid of 95% of your stuck shut problems, you make your carb idle like garbage. This thing loads like you wouldn't believe. In fact, after my last UTAH trip last weekend several friends were just plain amazed at the fire that popped out of my exhaust on take off. I believe the idle issue is where MR. HP did a lot of his research, however I'm not speaking on his behalf. Just think it needs more work. After your off idle though, LOOK OUT! this thing makes more power than you expect.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, Hightower is pretty much right on. If you want to trail, then the LECTRON may not be for you. I do both, which makes my world of CARBS a complete mess! I am however, sure that if I lived near MR. HP he could tune my carb to my needs and I'd have the best of both worlds - that is not possible at this time. I have some ideas about the Lectron idle, and will probably work on it this summer (off season here in Vegas).

Before the Lectron guys ask.... yes, my slide is a mirror. Yes, my needle setting is rich with the air screw out and the throttle screw in (all the way!). It does idle..... but at elevation (6K) it stalls rolling to a stop. Yea, I know, you guys have the answers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'll keep playing and I will hit the mark! Might cost me some money in slides, But I will get it to work better. Just ask Mario....... I am stupid ****!

Please don't take this as a Lectron knock. The carbs perfoms like no other. Just needs a little work at idle. In fairness to the Eric and Randle, I have only called once and haven't really asked any questions. Last time I called, I asked about Max/Needle length from the brass bushing. I really need to get into the carb and work this thing out over the phone/email.

BigDaddy

Old 06-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Lean your needle out 2 turns and that idle problem will go away.

How is your cable routed? Is the cable properly lubed? I have never experienced this throttle stiffness on my Lectron, of course it usually wide open.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

well this certainly interesting reading, especially for somethin like myself whos looking to buy a new carb in a month or 2, so far i think i'm still leaning towards the tm45, seems like the better trail carb, after all thats what i ride 90% of the time, plus its cheaper, and i know many people have had alot of experience and there tons of posts on here that i can search throught for information, i know mrhp is more than willing to help out his customers but being a young lad like myself its hard to cough up that much,

Old 06-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

the stock air tube makes a hugh difference on the 45 stay away from the carb mount.

Quick Reply: TM-45 CARB and Hightower