CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

heim joint/ front wheel assembly please help !

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heim joint/ front wheel assembly please help !

first off i don't know the technical names so please bare with me. the boot on my heim (only tech name i know) joint is torn and needs to be replaced. I have taken off the wheel, break assembly, fender, and removed the pins and nuts from the knuckle where it joins t o the A-arms. I have removed the snap rings from around the grease fittings. How do I get the actual heim joints out? I don't know if they rotate or if they are simply pushed out. anyone with a manual please help. I have even tried using a jack to take the pressure off by compressing the shock. and I am (hopefully) going riding this weekend. Please help !

Old 06-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cain73
first off i don't know the technical names so please bare with me. the boot on my heim (only tech name i know) joint is torn and needs to be replaced. I have taken off the wheel, break assembly, fender, and removed the pins and nuts from the knuckle where it joins t o the A-arms. I have removed the snap rings from around the grease fittings. How do I get the actual heim joints out? I don't know if they rotate or if they are simply pushed out. anyone with a manual please help. I have even tried using a jack to take the pressure off by compressing the shock. and I am (hopefully) going riding this weekend. Please help !
So....After you removed the nuts...... did it look like a yahama??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

just curious....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

marrtoo

Old 06-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

if you are talking stock a arms. you are talking about ball joints. not heim joints. the side thats in the knuckle requires a ball joint separater or a pickle fork. the side thats in the a arm will probably have to be put under a press. I have not looked at my shop manual. there may be a special tool. but, thats how most ball joints come apart.if your just replacing boots the snapring on the grease zerk side will not need to be removed. and the nuckle side is a taper bore fit.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

wow tough crowd.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

marrtoo

Old 06-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Take a hammer and tap on the spindle part right at the ball joint and it will pop apart. Not to hard as to dent up the spindle but but with enough force to get the stud out.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

I might have miss read your post. If you mean taking the ball joint out of the arm just use a socket and hammer and tap them out. They should come right out.