CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Verses the 450R and 450YFZ

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 Verses the 450R and 450YFZ

the yfz got the holeshot but i passed him near the end.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pelter

What mods do you have and what mods did the YZF have?

My buddy has a hard time beating the yzfs with pipes. And his ds is very modded. The yama gets him till they both hit rev limitier. He's never raced a yzf stock though...ohh well...he is boring out his motor this summer and getting bigger tires...we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

my friend has a yfz450 we race all the time he gets me off the line but then when i get into 4th im pulling by him and i just keep rolling past him. We traded for a day and wow that yfz450 takes off like crazy but i wasnt happy with the top end of it.......my friend topped out my ds and couldnt even believe it at 83mph he came back and said wow my eyes are watering and i can barely see... if u wanna beet the 450 just race it for about a mile or a bit less and you should win easily i no i sure do

Old 07-27-2004, 01:32 PM
amd
Pro Rider

I race my buddies 450r all the time, he has sparks pipe, filter, usuall stuff. We always race on pavement so there is no excuses, To be honest with you it isnt much of a race. When I ride the R and he rides my ds I always let off of it when the ds gets about 20 feet ahead of me. I would say the ds pulls the r pretty hard, probably about 50 feet or so and that is running the ds to about 8000 in high gear. My other buddy has a bone stock yfz and my buddies R beats it by about 2 bikes by the end of the race so the yfz is a little closer to me then the R. I will probably never find out the outcome with the yfz with mods, because he says it is fast enough for him.

Know for the sand, in about a 200-300 foot race in the sand both the yfz and the r are right with me, they are running haulers and I was just running edges. Next sand trip I will have extreme haulers so we will see what happens. I am going to be on alcohol though so it wont be quite as far, but oh well. lol

Mods are: woods pipe, ported intake, tm45, vortex cdi, k&n no lid, 60% woods clutch springs, 15-40 gearing, and douglas 160 wheels on stock tires or douglas 160 with the edges and mohawks. Thats about it.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

amd,

That looks like a good setup, I think you'll gain as many bike lengths from the Extreme Haulers as you will the Alcohol!

Old 07-28-2004, 01:10 PM
amd
Pro Rider

I am hoping so. I figure I will get the 520 chain conversion from sidewinder as soon as it is realesed and hubs from hpr and run .125 wheels to get even less rotating mass. I would like to get it perfect before I tear into the motor.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

don't know about you guys, but I raced those sleds all the time at Dumont this last winter. Now I know my bike is modified, but I am 6'10" - 310lbs. I have raced modded and non-modded machines. Before my latest mods, the piped and jetted YFZ's with normal sized riders (180lbs or so) would catch and beat me at the top of Comp. Since my Piston, Cam, Custom pipe, and Lectron and extended swing arm, It's not close. I beat the same modded quads by about 4 lengths or so up comp. Now, put a normal pilot on my bike and it's about 7 lenghts.

As far as piped (and I would assume jetted) R's, they are not even close.

Biggest and best mods running up the hill you ask?????

The Lectron is sick, and works like no other in my opinion (Let's not talk trails though).
The Piston/ and cam combo is nice, but not a HUGE factor.
The extended Swing arm makes a HUGE difference! I've posted on it before, but until I got the extended arm, the lectron made the start all but managable. Now, I can launch at 5 or 6K and just ride it out. I'm up in rpm earlier and it helps me to stay in the higher rpms up the hill. I start in second and change to 3rd way before the whoops at Comp (Dumont riders know what I mean). The difference the Carb made just in shifting points at Dumont was huge. Before the Lectron, the TM had me shifting right in the whoops. what a pain!. Now I shift probably 20ft sooner. Along with my Swing arm, hill shooting is a PLEASURE!

Now though, I'm thinking about selling my Lectron and building an NOS kit to use with my Dyno - tuned stocker.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

raced 10-15 450r. Havent lost. raced a heck of a lot of yfz's. 1 I cant beat yet . He has hc piston , cams ported head , new cdi , duncan pipe . three lenghts is the closest I can come and he gets most of that in the first 50feet. My 03 stock with modded end cap ,k&n, 17/40 gears , 20x11x9 10 paddle haulers. My tired 02, 43hp. sleeper. set up well. Runs very good.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OuterLimit
Those few "free" mods did make a big difference with my kids YFZ. I would suspect that any exhaust/airbox mod that lets you go up by six jet sizes has made a big difference. I also found it interesting that when we put an HMF full system on my kids YFZ just yesterday that we did not have to change jetting at all. The HMF full system pulls a little harder on the bottom end, and in the mid-range, but feels about the same on top as the prior mods did. So if someone is on a budget, removing the spark arrestor and airbox lid and rejetting is almost as good as a full exhaust on a YFZ, and the full exhaust is really LOUD compared to an uncorked stock exhaust. I haven't said anything to my son about this, but I cannot help but smile at the lack of a big improvement from the HMF full system on his YFZ, because my HMF slip on really woke up my DS after some rejetting to go with it. We have not yet had a chance to drag race them again now that both have HMF exhaust on them, but something tells me the results will be closer.

The YFZ airboxless solution that Ron Wood Racing sells comes with a humungus K&N Filter - I mean its just HUGE! It also has an oversize air tube and is made for the stock carb or thier aftermarket solution.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Crazy,

He defintely has more in his corner. If you had porting, larger valves, and a higher comp piston and an HV46 I'm sure you'd smoke him...but it all takes money.. the end is never in sight.

Quick Reply: DS650 Verses the 450R and 450YFZ