CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oil in airbox, lots of oil but runs great, gargles

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in airbox, lots of oil but runs great, gargles

Hello All!

I am hoping you can help me out here. My atv has always lost a little oil into the airbox, but this past weekend it lost a ton. Perhaps 1\2 a quart or so. I mean I was on some hilly terrain but that's ridiculous. The oil level was fine when i started, it was not overfull as it had just been changed (tank and all).

When I shut off the atv is gargles, sounds like oil rushing into the tank? Is this normal? I never noticed it before but think i am getting paranoid.

I think I might start off with a compression test to see if I am having blowby problems, but the atv is running great, stronger then it ever has before. Would I notice a performance decrease with it if i was getting enough blowby to lose that much oil?

Anything else I should check for?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 06-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

have you cleaned the screen at the bottom of the oil tank?

Old 06-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yup, cleaned the screen when I emptied the tank this weekend. It actually wasnt hardly dirty at all. Atv probably only has 30 hours on it.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:13 PM
sam
Pro Rider

I ride wheelies for long distances and had no trouble with oil in the air box so I dont think its from hills. Do you think you might have over filled it during a oil change or some thing, and its just pushing the excess out? have you ran it since? what does the dip stick reflect now does it show its low?

Old 06-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

it has two oil pumps - supply sucking from tank and pumping through oil filter, and a return pulling from crankcase and sending oil back to tank.
piston blowby pushes oil out the breather yes, but only 30 hours - it sure shouldn't be blowing by like that, but hey anything's possible...
return pump failure would cause too much oil to be present in crankcase and an excess blown out, but that's awefully unlikely, I've never heard of oil pump problems yet anyway...

are you sure you didn't roll the bike? you'd defenitely get a big cough up of oil if so...

Old 06-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Make sure that thier is no kinks in your breather hose, This will biuld up alot of crank pressure, then when you stop it will puke oil. If the problem continuos then you probably need to take it to your dealer. It sounds like the quad is still under warranty. Make sure you tell them that this is unacceptable out of a NEW, NON-MODIFIED quad.

bigger.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

i have lost oil in my airbox also it was comming from the crank case hose that was put inside my snorkles i just simply relocated the breather hose to the front of the quad with a filter on it.