CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

K&N vs Foam

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N vs Foam

Do you remember a topic about Kand N filters a few months ago and how they were doing a poor job of protecting engines ?
as i recall it was mostly on the honda forum but also had a mentiond on here.

I called A honda dealer i used to by all the parts for my R from to see if he could get me some parts for my DS as they are big into racing and genraly good guys, where as my bomb dealer is big into tractors and well ?

Anyway when i asked if he could get hold of a K and n for me he said no problem but he would no longer recomend them for four strokes as all the bikes running them that they dealt with (mostly 400 ex) were smoking there nuts of after a couple of years and the guys on foam didnt seem to have the same problem.

A problem that never raised its head on two strokes as they get re built more often any way.

Now the bikes in question are almost certinaly all riding on dirt and in the clouds of crap coming off the bikes in front and i run on sand which has much bigger particals so i cant see them getting through the k and n .

the dealer nor myself are biased either way but its certinaly food for thought

Old 07-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default K&N vs Foam

I know what ya mean, I have the K&N, and for the dusty trail rides we do, the filter plugs up in less than 6 hours I'd say. I'm thinkin about a uni filter.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default K&N vs Foam

PUt a prefilter on it, makes a huge difference.

Old 07-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default K&N vs Foam

Ya the pre-filter makes all the differance in the world, just take it out every once in a while(depending on where you ride) and wash it out no tools needed.

Old 07-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default K&N vs Foam

ya ill third the outerwear....when i ran the KN without it it got a top layer of dust that is semi dificult to clean...but with the prefilter i can ride in dust, pull it off and there will be 90% less overall visible dirt on it. (adding a significant time between cleanings)

i would think that with the outerwear, it would have superior cleaning ability compared to a foam. (anyone ever looked closely at the outerwear? it almost looks solid the holes are so small)

i do hope that were not all contaminating our engines though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default K&N vs Foam

Here is the best setup for the DS.

Put on the K&N, but place the stock foam filter you get with the stock DS over the K&N. If you like you can even put a little K&N filter oil on the foam filter to really soak up the dust. Then put the Pre filter on. The guys that are running this setup have not complained about any power loss. We ride in very dusty conditions. The pre filter catches the big stuff, and then the foam does the rest. The K&N hardly needs cleaning. I clean the pre filter after every ride. The foam after every second or third and the K&N, I clean just because. After about 20 to 30 hours of riding in serious dirt, it is still nice and pink. There is hardly any dirt on it.

I just opened a DS last week with this setup. The outerwear and foam is brown with dust and the K&N is not serviced regularly. The carb and intake was as clean as a whistle.

The foam also work great, don't get me wrong, but if read up about what flows best, its K&N, then Paper, then foam. You need a much larger foam filter to flow the same as a smaller K&N. If you have limited space, the same size K&N will outflow a similar size foam filter any day.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!
Default K&N vs Foam

K&N is old news. We have found that the No-Toil foam filters protect better and ALWAYS makes more power on the dyno. Guess which filter is on my 70HP bike.

Trending Topics

Old 07-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default K&N vs Foam

who wants a no toil? i do, i do! lol
is the no toil just a foam filter? (JUST foam, or similar to the stocker?)

i know awhile back someone said you actually LOSE hp on the dyno with the KN in the upper rpm range?

what does a no toil run?

Old 07-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default K&N vs Foam

can we have more info about this no-toil and were to get it.

i ride in alot of dust and dirt this sound good for me.

Old 07-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default K&N vs Foam

Yeah, where can you get the no toil?

Quick Reply: K&N vs Foam