CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

AHHH! that new ATV smell!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHHH! that new ATV smell!

The brakes on my '05 DS are as good as any of the ATVs I have rode, except for my kids YFZ, so there may be something wrong with your brakes. I wonder if there is just a lubricant film on them from something that may have been sprayed on the ATV when the dealer put it together. If that is the case then they should be fine after a few more rides. It shouldn't be a big deal to bleed the brakes yourself if you want to try that, although it may take two people --- one to hold the brake lever, and one to loosen the bleed valve.

The stock exhaust on these DS650s is so choked up that it is a wonder they even run. At least that is the way mine seemed when I first rode it. There was no low end power, a big hesitation in the low mid-range, and then it would finally go if I kept it revved quite high. That ride was at 4800 ft altitude, at the St. Anthony sand dunes, and I was less than impressed. Now I have swapped out the stock exhaust for an HMF slip-on, and it is an entirely different animal. It grunts and snorts like a mean old bull, and has tons of torque, everywhere. It wheelies to lift the front end over trail obstacles with just a slight punch of the throttle, and easily revs right up to the rev limiter, even in fifth gear. I can't believe how much difference a simple little exhaust change made on my DS. With the HMF slip on, at 5500 ft elevation, I have the stock pilot air screw setting, stock pilot jet, needle adjusted full rich, and stock main jet, and it rips. Have fun with that new DS, you're going to love it when you get the exhaust opened up.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Little things on the Ds wake the beast up. Try gearing. It helped out a good bit on my bike.

Congrads on the new Ds, by the way.

Old 07-11-2004, 01:17 AM
Hez
Range Rover

Sounds great guys!

I think first thing monday morning im going to call Mr. Horsepower and order his endcap for now........maybe an HMF slip on later.

I'll give the bike a few rides and see how the brakes do then i'll call the dealer.

Thanks
Hez

Old 07-11-2004, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

I picked my 04 up on a saturday @11am. By About 4pm I allready had MRHP46HV, MRHP endcap, and ported intake ordered. I hadnt even got to shift to third by the time I had ordered it only putted around my friend's yard. I couldnt be happier, great bang for the buck.
JD

Old 07-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Canadian & addict- I'm just kidding around [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] the real power is in the go fast stickers- just put lots of em on[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

arnt them stickers spensive[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

yes they can be! ... stick a turbo here, stick some EFI there, stick a few gauges on and bang! it goes fast.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: OuterLimit
The stock exhaust on these DS650s is so choked up that it is a wonder they even run. At least that is the way mine seemed when I first rode it. There was no low end power, a big hesitation in the low mid-range, and then it would finally go if I kept it revved quite high. That ride was at 4800 ft altitude, at the St. Anthony sand dunes, and I was less than impressed. Now I have swapped out the stock exhaust for an HMF slip-on, and it is an entirely different animal. It grunts and snorts like a mean old bull, and has tons of torque, everywhere. It wheelies to lift the front end over trail obstacles with just a slight punch of the throttle, and easily revs right up to the rev limiter, even in fifth gear. I can't believe how much difference a simple little exhaust change made on my DS. With the HMF slip on, at 5500 ft elevation, I have the stock pilot air screw setting, stock pilot jet, needle adjusted full rich, and stock main jet, and it rips. Have fun with that new DS, you're going to love it when you get the exhaust opened up.
OuterLimit: I'd purchase the Mod End Cap from Mr. HP, but the places we ride in MI require a USFS spark arrester. I've read where some users built their own spark arrestor for the end cap. I don't want to play with that. Anyway, on to my question. Do you have the spark arrester for the HMF? I'm considering the HMF as I have no mods for my 04 X.

Old 07-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Hez
Range Rover

Did you guys remember to remove the "go-slow" stickers!? All 50 of the stupid warning stickers that tell you not to do the stuff that you wouldn't do anyway? or sort of wouldn't do. I'd say its at least 10mph faster! hehehe

Old 07-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

majorecho, i knew they weren't go fast parts just wondering what they were for . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: AHHH! that new ATV smell!