CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

VORTEX'S ADVERTISED 8900 RPM REV LIMIT YEILDS 7891 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VORTEX'S ADVERTISED 8900 RPM REV LIMIT YEILDS 7851 RPM

Just got my DS off the dyno (Dynomite dyno) and the rev limits are way lower than advertised. My DS was still making power when it signed off at 7891
rpm. I used position 1 for it made the most power and had the highest rev limit. Now after paying $400 for the Vortex I now have the added expense of re-programming just to get above the Baja stock cdi rev limit (7900 rpm.). This is not a isolated problem for the Vortex cdi for the highly respected
company that dynoed my DS claimed identical results in other Vortex equiped DS's. I can't tell you how dissapointed I am with the "out of the box"
Vortex performance.

JMiller

Old 07-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Sandragggen,

Sounds like a bummer deal, but what do you mean when you say sign off? Does the dyno show a sudden loss of power or does the Vortex start dropping spark?

What mods did you do to keep making power around 8,000 rpm?

We run two Vortexs in two DS650s and love them both.

jbt

Old 07-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Sign off meaning the rev limter kicks in.

The mods I've done thus far is the stock stroke/bore, MrHP 16:1 piston, MrHP48 Lectron (gas), MrHP drag pipe, TheBom porting with 1mm larger exhaust/intake valves, A1/A2 cams, Votex cdi. I will post the dyno results on Monday in the pic gallery after I scan them.

JMiller

Old 07-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default VORTEX'S ADVERTISED 8900 RPM REV LIMIT YEILDS 7891 RPM

Frist the dyno could be off and not the vortex???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Second if you bought that vortex from the right co. (that being russelle carting) You wont spend anything getting your curves adjusted or your limiter reset [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

hope my future dyna ignition is better???

Old 07-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

The Baja tach confirmed dyno rpms, but anything is possible. I bought the Vortex from On Dunes and was assured that the limiter would be higher than stock. With a advertised 8900 rev limit I should not have to spend more money to re-program but in this case it looks like I'm going to have to.

Has anyone else dynoed their DS with the Vortex?

JMiller

Old 07-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sandragggen
Just got my DS off the dyno (Dynomite dyno) and the rev limits are way lower than advertised. My DS was still making power when it signed off at 7891
rpm. I used position 1 for it made the most power and had the highest rev limit. Now after paying $400 for the Vortex I now have the added expense of re-programming just to get above the Baja stock cdi rev limit (7900 rpm.). This is not a isolated problem for the Vortex cdi for the highly respected
company that dynoed my DS claimed identical results in other Vortex equiped DS's. I can't tell you how dissapointed I am with the "out of the box"
Vortex performance.

JMiller
Thats the first I've heard of that; and I know A LOT of people that have them, including me. It's possible you got something different or something wrong. Surely, you can exchange it. Did you buy it new? When did you buy it? Who from? The Vortex that I have is right on when compared to my tachometer. If your tach confirmed the dyno results, are you saying you didn't notice this problem before?

It is an intersting post ... I don't know a J Miller - ..... Hmmmmmm.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

I know Jay (JMiller) and if he said it, I believe it.

Now Jay, did you have to go and get a bigger carb and the drag pipe?! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Daren

Old 07-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Thats the first I've heard of that; and I know A LOT of people that have them, including me. It's possible you got something different or something wrong. Surely, you can exchange it. Did you buy it new? When did you buy it? Who from? The Vortex that I have is right on when compared to my tachometer. If your tach confirmed the dyno results, are you saying you didn't notice this problem before?
It is an intersting post ... I don't know a J Miller - ..... Hmmmmmm.
It is possible that I got something different and I hope that this is the case for the rest of the people that own one or is thinking about buying one.

I did buy it new.

I bought it from On Dunes Performance.

I bought it almost a year ago and it would be the right thing to do if On Dunes Performance would replace my unit with one that worked as advertised.

The tach did confirm dyno rpm results or visa versa. All of my riding/drag racing is on pretty whooped out sand that doesn't give you much time to look down at the tach and even when I did look at the tach, me or needle jumps around to much to give a accurate reading. I did hit the rev limiter a few times but figured my tires were unloading because of the sandy whoops.

My name is Jay Miller and I'm from Imperial, MO. I don't get out to Albany, Oregon to often but it's nice meeting you here. I did buy the Vortex from a guy in Albany, Oregon. Are you the owner of On Dunes Performance?

JMiller

Old 07-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

><>

Quick Reply: VORTEX'S ADVERTISED 8900 RPM REV LIMIT YEILDS 7891 RPM