CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Type and wieght of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 11:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type and wieght of oil?

Check with the manufacturer, that's the best way, you should be OK for the short term if the oil is not not compatible. Next time consider spending a few extra bucks for a quality 4- Stroke Synthetic you've most likely got a few dollars into the ATV. I personally believe it's really good insurance on your investment especially if you plan on keeping the machine to run a high quality synthetic like Amsoil, Redline or Mobil 1. Just my 2 cents! More info is available at the Amsoil Website. Amsoil

Old 08-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ricky,

Was the oil sold in an auto parts store as an automotive oil? Be sure to read the article on oils, you'll then know what differences there are.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Some of the best wet clutch oil related info can be found right here thanks to ScoobyDFW![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is one of the quotes I was looking for:
(Taken from the website link I posted earlier.)

"There are a few special problem areas for motorcycle oil. Most motorcycles have wet clutches, which means the motor oil runs through the clutch. If the motor oil has too much molybdenum in it, there are fears that the clutch can start slipping. No one I know has ever actually had this happen to them, but the warnings are all over your owners' manual and the oil companies' web pages. On the back of all certified oil cans is a circular stamp with the certification. Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut. These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. Essentially all 0w-20, 5w-30 and 10w-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle.

Most motorcycles run the engine oil through the transmission, and the transmission gears are very hard on the oil's VII package. This means that over a couple thousand miles, the oil's viscosity can break down. Standard car oils are only good for typically 2500 miles before they've lost about half of their viscosity. Remember, 10w-40 oils contain a lot of VIIs which tend to shear in your transmission, so I believe 10w-40 oils should be avoided. You can't use 10w-30 because of the friction modifiers. This doesn't leave much. Commercial 15w-40 oils are a good choice, because they have relatively few VIIs which are the more expensive shear-stable sort. Synthetics typically don't contain much of a VII package, so shear is not as big an issue with them.

Some people use their motorcycles only sporadically. This means the oil can all drain completely into the sump, leaving no protective film on the bearings. The first start after a long period of non-use can be particularly hard on an engine. Film strength is very important if you're a sporadic rider.

There are several key advantages to using Synthetic Oils:

Synthetic oils have a higher viscosity index than mineral base oils. Synthetics have better resistance to thinning at high temperatures and thickening at low temperatures. Since synthetics have little or no VIIs, synthetics last longer in service without radical changes in viscosity.

Synthetics have a much higher film strength than petroleum oils, so it takes a lot longer for the oil to drain completely off your bearings and into your sump.

Diester synthetics are polar molecules with solvent properties which dissolve residues and combustion byproducts. "