CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What kind of pipe should i get for my ds 650

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of pipe should i get for my ds 650

Originally posted by: DSaholic
I have the new CT pipe with the disk system and it makes good HP (dynoed by randle (222) at HP research) and it is pretty quiet. I have never had it tested but it is alot quieter than a open system.
Do you have any pics of the CT pipe? Is it a slip-on or full exhaust?

Old 08-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pipe that i have is a full system. I don't have any pics but there are pics of it on a DS on CT racing. The fit and finish it real good and it has held up real well so far.

pics and dyno sheet

Old 08-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Go for HMF slip-on...
Looks awsome, best performance you can get from a slip-on and the noise... louder then you think!

Old 08-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dingo2,

Sorry I can't help you - I've got the end caps; I just think the HMF - at least for the DS is a good pipe. How long has your friend had his mounted? I've heard the silencer packing should be checked if the pipe is loud as the first, cheapest thing to do. I do recall READING a post that the quiet core worked and also took away much of the power with it, so perhaps it was not installed right? (I have -no- idea if it is something that can even be installed wrong.)

I agree that we are getting the short end of the stick on exhaust performance / sound performance. Why can't we get quiet, powerful exhaust as well.

You might look into the LTE dual exhaust, it is supposed to be 96 db I believe, though it takes a little extra work to install; as well as costing about $700.

DSaholic,

Not to sound stupid, but the last report on the CT Sonic pipe I saw rated it at about 106 db, which was the loudest pipe available at the time. (Probably in 2001 or 2002) Do you have a newer version of it? Discs do make a big difference over an open pipe, but I never saw a big enough change to be excited about after initially installing them. On my 1987 Mojave, I tried everything from 6 to one disc, and only saw a slight change in sound with a huge change in performance (the engine REALLY did NOT like 1 disc!)

DSengineer,

The CT sonic pipe that I am aware of is a full system with headers etc.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well I went from a MBRP race system and the CT is much quieter. Like i said I have never had it measured but it is quieter than my buddies that one has just the end cap and the other has the graydon open end slip on.

I have never had a problem with sound as I ride in UT and ID mostly with one trip the sand mtn NV. It does come stock with a USFC approved spark arrestor also.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackHawk

You might look into the LTE dual exhaust, it is supposed to be 96 db I believe, though it takes a little extra work to install; as well as costing about $700.
ya they look nice, but some people like myself can't run it

Old 08-04-2004, 01:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

lilnotts,

Other than your ATV being beat to heck, why can't you run the LTE?

Old 08-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackHawk
lilnotts,

Other than your ATV being beat to heck, why can't you run the LTE?
lol well besides that its because of the mandatory clampon filter, i don't let mother nature stop me from riding, trucks do tho, so i ride in water, mud and snow, and i don't want that going into my engine,

Old 08-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Trailblazer

whit bros. e-series seems to be a good one too.....looks nice, but spits crap on yuor grab bar....other than that it sounds great and performs well...

Old 08-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh yeah, I forgot about the filter thing with the LTE. Too bad someone doesn't design a way around that, but then I guess that would be up to LTE, or a keen distributor.

Quick Reply: What kind of pipe should i get for my ds 650