CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

seating beads and installing new tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seating beads and installing new tires

I have a set of tire that I went to put on my stock rims today and couldn't get them to stop leaking air. they did pop on the rims but when we checked with soap water they were leaking around the bead. My friend said that at tire shops they sometimes use something to help seat the bead and said it was called monkey something (maybe monkey spit ?). All I am familiiar with is soap water for lube. Does any one know if they use something to seal the bead? Please let me know I waited til the last minute not expecting problems and now our next trip is coming up fast and I have tires that leak. There are no defects with the tire (holes, tears, etc.) and they still leak. If they use a sealant what is it and where can I get it. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure there is no rust or pitting on the wheels where the tires meet the rim. It is just a soap and water solution for the lube so the tires slide on the wheel when inflated. There is a professional product but it is just soap. There is a bead sealant that has is similar to weather strip adhesive that can be brushed on the bead area of the tire and wheel. You are probably farther ahead to take them in to the tire shop if this becomes necessary. Break the beads loose make sure they are clean, put a light coat of soapy water on the tire beads and inflate them to the max reccomended pressure. Them pull the valve cores out to let the tire relax and reinflated them. The leaks should be gone, if not give them a little time(overnight) and see if they are still leaking. If so you will need to use bead sealer.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

what they use to seat the beads is called murphys. what they use to seal the beads is called bead sealer. its in a small can with a brush atached to the lid for applying on the rim. the only reason you should need bead sealer is if the rim is rusted and pitted or the tire has bead damage. if thats not the caes. then you need to clean the the bead area on the rim. you can do that fast with a wire wheel on a grinder.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Yes thanks busmechanic, I couldn't rember the name of Murphys soap for the life of me.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

I gather that you have not been able to get the tire to seat against the rim enough to stop leaking air when you are trying to inflate it, and not that you have the tire seated on the rim but it has not popped fully onto the bead yet.

If that is correct, you will need to take the valve core out of the valve stem so you can add a lot of air into the tire all at once (the core restricts flow too much). Then you can use two tie down straps wrapped circumferentially around the tire, and cinch them down really tight to get the bead of the tire close enough to the rim that it does not leak all of the air out between the tire bead and the rim. Then just add air really fast from a big air tank (ours is 60 gallons), so that a lot of air volume enters the tire all at once, and that should seat the tire against the rim. Once the tire is seated against the rim remove the tie down straps, and then add enough air to pop the tire bead onto the rims bead. I have used as much as 40 psi on some really stiff and stubborn sport quad tires (Holeshot HD).

--------------------------------

Old 08-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks alot for the info guys. I am going to try taking them off and making sure that htere is no debris, dirt around the bead, lube them up and thry to reseat them and see if they leak . If that don't work I'll let them sit and see if that will do it. From what you're saying I shouldn't need the bead sealant as the rims and tires are almost new and in good shape. But if worst case scenario I will try the sealant. I love this site. Thanks

Old 08-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

I just went through this. Same deal. Small soap bubbles on bead if under 12 psi in tires. I cant corner for $h!t with 12 PSI up front. i go 2 wheeling up that high.

I had one front tire that if set to 5-6 psi kept leaking down flat in about a week. I cleaned the bead and used the black brush on bead sealer. It stopped it untill i cornered hard a few times at the track, then it kept going flat again. These are on 3 month old itp tires and new rims. (purchsed new as mounted kits) . I popped the beads and tried beadsealer one more time. i really gooped it on this time and let it dry over night. i like to run 5-6 psi up front for cornering at the track. They held untill i cornered hard again, then a week later they were flat.

I later rode a long day at the track and the tires went down to 2-3 psi while ridding and i didnt realize it. I really sky the DS on the jumps, and with 2-3 psi in the tires, i ruined the front rims. bent to crap.

I straightened the front rims, welded rings to each side and installed tubes in the front tires. Set to 5.5 psi. No leaks now and no more week bent rims..... I dont care about the little added weight. I have piece of mind that my tires will hold air now......... I got 20x800/10 tubes from fleet farm for 9 bucks a piece in the front.

You dont like tubes? Then dont use them......thats your opinion.... But im keeping my tubes in........................

Old 08-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

I have resorted to tubes and had very good luck. The only thing I don't like is if you get a nail or somthing stuck in the tire you have an instant flat not a slow leak. Tubes do work great though.