CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

works shocks worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default works shocks worth it?

I'm thinking about getting a set at the end of the year, are they any good? I'm looking to lower the ride height a little bit, but don't want to give up bottoming resistance. I do a lot of fast trail riding, and some light moto, and the I've finally grown weary of the stock shocks action.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

If you want to reduce the ride height by very much you will want to go with elka's. The problem with that is to resist bottoming they will be stiff with a lower ride height. I have works pro-series fronts and an ultracross rear. I love them and wouldn't go with anything else. The biggest problem is that most people have no idea how to set up suspension. You have to be honest in your weight and riding style when you order them and they will send you what you need. Mine came a little stiff and I talked to them on the phone and we moved some of the transition spacers for the springs and now she is a cadillac. The other thing is to read the article in the latest dirt wheel and it helps set up the compression and rebound and preload. I do MX and my preload is as soft as I can go, the compression is all the way soft, and the rebound is quite slow because there are no whoops at my track. I hope this helps. You should be able to get fully adjustable fronts for $800, maybe less and $725 for the rear.

Justin

Old 08-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

You should be able to get fully adjustable fronts for $800, maybe less and $725 for the rear.

Justin[/quote]

I know that's cheaper than Elka's, but that's still alot of dough. Are aftermarket shocks really worth the price? I've never ridden a quad with aftermarket shocks, that's why I'm asking. I can't imagine it getting much better than the stock Baja suspension because it's better than any other quad I've ridden. Details man, details...............................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

thanks justin, I think I'll give them a call and tell them what I expect, and see what they say, I really don't want to lay out the cabbage for the elkas. Also I was looking for a little better weight transfer to the rear coming off corners, ai have a hard time getting hooked up out of the corners.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

If you are not sure whether they are worth it you should see my stock shocks. I have a couple friends with new baja's and I agree that is good suspension, but not for big jumping. The other thing to consider is weight. I am a big guy and so I need the suspension. If you only weigh 120 lbs, you probably don't need anything tell you start racing, or go big air. I have a friend who often rides my machine. He has a 450r and weighs 150 lbs. He loves my machine because it rides a lot better than his and he can jump farther without bottoming it out. That is with the suspension set up for a 300lb rider MX. To me that is impressive.

As far as weight transfer. I set the rebound nice and slow on my machine because there is no whoops on my track. This and the preload is set as soft as it can go without the springs rattling. With this combo and a nice soft progressive spring rate and the back end stays planted very well after jumps and through rough sections of the track. I hope this helps.

You can look at my pics page a see a few pictures of what I do every weekend and why I need suspension.

Good Luck

Justin

Old 08-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

can't you get the AT Steeler with the 5/8" shaft w/no rezzies for like $450?

Old 08-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Spend the money on good shocks. I don't know, but the steelers usually only come with 1/2" shafts and they will bend under heavy use.

Justin