CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 w/Hayabusa engine on EBAY

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 w/Hayabusa engine on EBAY

This is going to be a bidding "war". I know of two people here in the Central Valley who are serious ($$$$) about getting this bike. All the rest of us can do is dream and keep checking for a wounded Busa we can get for cheap....

Old 08-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Whats real bad is the fact that there is 5days left for bidding.

Anyone want to take a guess at how much it will go for???

I say 15k.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Hey Cardiac, 2 people isnt even a tenth of the serious lookers. An Item like this will make a man dig reeeeaaaal deep to get the $$ for this pig!!.

Id say this bike will end up near 16k, which might be too much for me to pay. I heard the punisher is willing to go up tyo 14k. Hes hawking his trailer for it..LOL

You cannot get a duplicate of this bike for 12-13k.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:29 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I'm watching the bidding with alot of interest as I have looked at building some kind of Superquad for a couple years now. Before people start thinking that something like this is out of their reach let me tell alittle of what I've learned.
The Hayabusa motor shows up on E-bay quite often but also is the most sought after for it's use in mini rails and heavier apllications therefore they cost the most.
This is the King when it comes to HP with reliabiltiy and can handle much more HP with stock parts.
There are tons of other motors that can be had for 1/3 the price that are going to still be around 150HP with awesome reliability.
When you reach that level of HP, 30HP or so doesn't have a huge efffect and these bikes need some pretty large tires and long swingarms with wheelie bars to take full effect of this power, meaning the race can't be won by power alone. Any liter class sportbike motor can be competitive.
If you purchase an early stock DS, ($3000 to $4500) you can sell the stock engine for close to what you can pick up say a very low mile CBR 954 engine with electronics and fuel injection.
DS's are THE choice for engine swaps and as the Rotax's age you'll see this happen more often, just as with LT 500's aka Quadzilla. Same theory, big frame, big bike and the DS parts are bulletproof.
The most difficult part of this install that I see is custom exhauast and the custom tank, neither of which should be too costly. There must be some vehicle out there that could be robbed of an under seat tank and you have to run a pump anyway for the fuel injection.
$3500 for a DS-motor $2800 also could sell the oil tank and fuel tank and exhaust. Good motor and controls (throttle,clutch) $1000 to 1800= $3700 to $4600. Tank, pump, exhuast, swingarm or could mod your own as looks like this one was. Sprockets, chain, tires. A bike very similar could be built any where from $5000 on up depending on the fab work you can do, and the quality of the parts you want to use. My guess is $5000 on the very low end.
To me it looks like he cut and welded in a section of box or lengthened the swingarm, Stock a-arms, even stock bumpers, this is deffinately doable for a reasonable price.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:38 AM
Pro Rider

seing this makes me want say........a CBR600EX wouldnt that be sweet!

Old 08-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Bassetboy, here's the thing, you could go with 1000ccs and almost a third more horsepower for the same money. You would add less than twenty pounds but most of that would be with a beefier tranny.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

i totally see what you're saying and realize it is true. However i dont want that much in a quad, it would be useless to me. I would like to tone it down and stilll be unique.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bassetboy55
seing this makes me want say........a CBR600EX wouldnt that be sweet!
lol thats what i was thinking about doing before my accident happened,

Old 08-25-2004, 06:16 AM
Pro Rider

im glad somebody is on the same page as me..

Old 08-25-2004, 07:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

one thing I don't like about it is it appears to be raised and more have more forward weight bias than the DS. not sure I believe it's only 30lbs heavier either.

believe it or not these motors retail about the same price as a DS motor. used motors are common on ebay.

i'm not sure i agree the DS frame is the best chassis to put the motor in unless you're talking about a desert racer.

the DS is too heavy to begin with. there are still going to be plenty of banshees that can beat this quad (with stock motor setup) up a dune hill due to it's weight.

Quick Reply: DS650 w/Hayabusa engine on EBAY