CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Synthetics in DS??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetics in DS??

I see the owners manual says to only use BomB synthetic. oil. I'm not even broken in yet but when I do I plan on using Shell Rotella T synthetic. I just completed my second oil change after my second ride. After the first oil change I hadn't realized the tank in the front as it would only take less then three quarts of oil and was over full, after discovering this tank I drained some out but just to be on the safe side I changed it again to be sure I had the right amount and I didn't want to mix new with old oil. I should be good to go for a while.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just FYI from what I've read and talking to a reliable dealer, Bombardier will void any warranty claim if you use any synthetic other than Bombardier, and supposedly they can tell.

Old 09-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

It is illegal in the United States for a manufacturer to void a warranty as long as the oil used meets the service spec they call out. The two key issues are not using an oil with friction modifiers in anything with a wet clutch, and using an oil that is designed for small, hard working recreation motors and not cars. Most oil for cars has friction modifiers but even the ones that don't aren't the best to use. Auto oil is made to do three things in this order: 1 - reduce fuel consumption; 2 - reduce emissions; 3 - protect moving parts. For recreational motors (quads, bikes, pwc, sleds, etc.) we need that order reversed. Motorcycle specific oils typically use about 5 times the anti-wear, anti-scuff and extreme pressure additives of automotive oils. In other words, they handle high stress better.

Good articles on oil:
article 1
article 2

Oh yeah, if you don't feel like reading the articles, the Rotella T synthetic is one that is recommended. I would personally recommend Amsoil Formula 4-stroke.

Old 09-12-2004, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

Just FYI from what I've read and talking to a reliable dealer, Bombardier will void any warranty claim if you use any synthetic other than Bombardier, and supposedly they can tell.
>>>>>>>

It's not stated anywhere in the owners manual or paperwork that the warranty would be voided anything other then Bomb oil is used. Is their synthetic some special formula?? It simply cautions against oils which are not suitable for a wet clutch. I'm curious about the 1-2 micron oil filters the truckers are using to extend oil life to 50K miles, not that I plan on doing that but it surely can't hurt your engine to filter the oil better.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I'm curious about the 1-2 micron oil filters the truckers are using to extend oil life to 50K miles, not that I plan on doing that but it surely can't hurt your engine to filter the oil better.
It can if it restricts flow too much. There is a system from Amsoil called bypass filtering. It uses a standard filter and a very fine filter together. As the engine runs, most of the oil flows through the regular filter preserving adequate flow. A small portion is bled off to run through the finer filter thus cleaning it better. If I remember correctly, it takes about 20 minutes of run time for all the oil to have gone through the second filter. I can't imaging needed something like this except under the most extreme usage as modern synthetic oils and quality filters already do an excellent job.

Old 09-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I read the same article, it is very informative.

One thing I've noticed about oils is when you compare one oil brand / name say Shell Rotella T and the synthetic version, the synthetic version always has a lower cSt @ 40C than it's non-synthetic counter part. ScoobyDFW in another post was commenting on this rating needing to be in the 130 cSt @ 40C range, however only the lower grade oils seem to meet this and all of the synthetics do not - so I know there has got to be more to the question of which oil to run than just it's cSt @ 40C rating.

Here is a link to the thread:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=378967

I'm actually considering running the Shell Rotella once my 5 gallon of Maxima is used up, I'm just not sure if I'll use synthetic (which by they way does not always mean synthetic, it usually just means a higher grade oil) or the lower grade oil. (Synthetic is twice as much.)

Old 09-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Raidermike,

A diesel truck engine usually runs between 1200-1800 rpm. They dont need the high volume of oil flow that we do with our high rpm engines. The tight mictron filter would probably not work on a DS engine.

I personally run full synthetic Klotz Techniplate which cost about $10 per qt. and is desgined for wet clutch motorcycle type engines. I have no clutch slippage problems (Barnett 9 disc) and have had no engine problems running this oil.

Just another opinion on oil.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Mrhorsepower