CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Which CDI Box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which CDI Box?

All I do is trail riding in northern Michigan and I wouldn't go back to my stock CDI for anything. The timing curve wasn't advance so much that you can even tell but the higher rev limiter is a must, it was the reason I bought a CDI... That and the $130 for the Procom. But I've been very happy with mine. And I suggest anyone who want's one go get it, you won't be dissapointed.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Go thru the, "What's in your garage thread". I found a RWR CDI for 120.00 with shipping!!! If I remember correctly there were a couple more in that thread....

Old 09-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

OK, now another stupid question. Does advancing the timing make it faster or quicker? I understand the rev limiter advantage but I'm not sure about how advancing the timing helps.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

The only thing I can relate it to is a powerband of a 2 stroke...it changes the powerband, and makes it broader, and more usefull. I'm sure someone here can explain it better...lol.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

The best way to think about aftermarket CDI's is where they put the power in the RPM curve. Most single curve CDI's put the highest power gain at the upper end of the RPM range. This makes sence so that when you race, the RPMs are higher, and thus the best power gain is found there. However, high RPM power curves are not always the best power curve if they sacrifice the low end, which most do. Low end power/torque are very usefull in trails so that you dont always have to keep the RPM's at a high level by shifting down all the time. Low end power/torque curves allow you utilize low RPM power. Multi-curve CDI's have more than one curve - some you can switch on the fly between low and high rpm power curves. Others have more features but that pretty much explains how they get more power.

Clear as mud?

Old 09-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Range Rover
Default Which CDI Box?

I think you would be wasting your money unless you have some other mods done to your bike. My friend bought the procomm which fried on him but they sent out a replacement pretty quick. It didn't make a bit of difference as far as I could tell. I would spend my money on a better flowing exhaust ( endcap or slip-on) or a K&N filter with outerwear or a ported intake from Mr. HP and the proper jetting with these mods. I would even get a high performance carburetor before the CDI. Now if you get a lightweight piston and some better valve springs then I guess the higher RPM would do you some good. IMO

Old 09-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Personally, I think there is more to it than that. I respectfully disagree with the general statement that, "you would be wasting your money unless you have some other mods done to your bike". A multicurve CDI will benefit a stock motor in all ranges of RPM (low and high) and even raise the rev limit from a stock CDI. This is a true measurable benefit. As with most mods, they WILL work better when used in combination of other performance parts - such as piston's and cams. Some of the pistons and cams out there are a true waste of money when compared to alternatives - yet people buy them anyways. As far as the Procomm CDI, there have been some very outspoken people comment on that CDI - some of those horsepower advocates even re-sell the Procomm CDI. My feeling is that its cheap, and there's not much to lose if the unit fails. Keep the stock one in case of problems and consider alternatives depending on your riding style.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Range Rover
Default Which CDI Box?

Putting an aftermarket CDI on a stock bike will make it just as fast as a new set of stickers on it will. Maybe saying you are wasting your money is a bit much but I could think of other ways (as I stated earlier) to make my bike faster for the money spent on a CDI.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

I dont thing that the procomm cdi is any cheaper than the other single curve cdi's. cheaper made that is. they are less expensive. about 1/3 the cost of the cdi,s with a big white sticker on the front. those little processor boards are coming from the same manufacture. I like what my procomm cdi has done for my ds. why pay 300 for something you can have 100.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Originally posted by: busmechanic
I dont thing that the procomm cdi is any cheaper than the other single curve cdi's. cheaper made that is. they are less expensive. about 1/3 the cost of the cdi,s with a big white sticker on the front. those little processor boards are coming from the same manufacture. I like what my procomm cdi has done for my ds. why pay 300 for something you can have 100.
Historically I think you'll find there is quite a bit if difference in the quality when compared to other CDI's on the market. I'll bet if you took a vote today, you would find at least a 10% failure rate in Procomms CDIs, and something like 1% in the other two manufacurers CDI's. Thats not nessesarily a bad thing, simply because the price is low, and maybe a lot of folks are OK with that. Personally, I'm OK with that, as long as people have enough information to make that decision. I will say this in favor of most CDI's out there, 99% of the time they work or they dont - that makes diagnosing problems very easy. If you get a bad one, send it back and get another one. From reading this thread, those that have had bad ones, had them replaced quickly - thats a huge improvement over what I have heard from last year and a big trophy for Procomm - GOOD JOB! Of the other two brands out there, I only know of two people that have had problems with thier CDI's. I can tell you of about 15 people I have heard about that have had problems with the Procomm. Again, it may be worth it. But I can't pony up to the bar and say there is no difference between them when I know the results first hand. That does not mean you have a problem unit - Not at all. Like I said before, if it works, 99% of the time it will continue working just like it should - and you got an excellent deal and you should be proud! I'm just pointing out, after reading this forum for the last 2 years, what results I have read about.