CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Which CDI Box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which CDI Box?

Originally posted by: lilnotts
sure am feelin great about the exhaust i own [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I thought you would ring in! LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Let's get straight up...
If ANYONE has dyno proof to show more than 1/2 to 1 horsepower gain on ANY aftermarket cdi, Please contact me. We have not found any cdi with OUT OF THE BOX PROGRAMMING to show more than 1 horse gain somewhere in the power range. Except for the stock curve, All of the other OUT OF THE BOX curves on the programmable cdi KILL power, sometimes 8-10hp. Albeit, we've not tested a MSD. Custom curves, however....

The out of the box aftermarket cdi's are good for rev limit control; don't buy one with the assumption that there is going to be a noticeable power increase. And unless your DS has mods (specifically, mods that move the power up in the rpm band), you probably don't need a higher rev limit. However the programmability of the Vortex (and presumably the MSD) is very useful.

Old 09-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Hehehehe ... Sometimes you just have to .. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .. well you get the picture.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

I purchased a big gun cdi unit for my baja which is stock other than a k&n and a rejet and it made a very noticeable difference for me.The baja and its low factory setting for the rev limiter is one example of a gain in performance with a cdi without the added expense of extensive modifications.

Old 09-19-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Hehehehe ... Sometimes you just have to .. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .. well you get the picture.

Old 09-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Stock CDI here on my 650 Honda, no rev. limiter, sometimes good, sometimes bad

All comes down to shifting it where it makes power, my current build peaks out at 7100 RPM, so don't have to ring her out too much, better to make high H/P at a low RPM to save the motor

Old 09-19-2004, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

That sound good! So it if you rev higher but don't make more HP than something not right?

Old 09-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Yea, I get a kick out of people revving their motor to the moon thinking that they will go faster when I go right past them at 5 or 6 grand, course I probably have a more torque build than average

Old 09-19-2004, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Originally posted by: COUNTRYJOEGLASS
That sound good! So it if you rev higher but don't make more HP than something not right?
Joe,

I think, what he is trying to say, is that there are times, that moving the rev limit up can be a benefit - such as a dune drag - It depends on your riding style. That's not always something that can be tested by a dyno (and I'm not saying a dyno is a bad thing) I actually do have access to a dyno - but that’s not really the point is it? The point is, depending on riding style and conditions, there are times that you want to take the time to shift, and times you don’t want to take the time to shift. Knowing were the rev limit is as well as knowing where the power bulge (HP and Torque) is. It's something that can be taken advantage of. We all know there are mods that only gain 1 or even two hp, and people spend hundreds of dollars knowing full well what the HP gain will be. Sometimes there are other factors than mere HP. Further, there are many single curve CDI's out there that work for specific individuals - and I have not said that those are bad - As I have always said, give the people the info and they can make up their own mind.

Just so you don’t get the wrong picture – I’m simply having an intelligent conversation here. I don’t believe I am financially benefiting from anything I have said. I've tried to keep an open mind, and have learned something new from this thread. Busmechanic set me straight on a few things - I guess I'm not too old to learn something new.

XR650Warrior - you beat me to the response - you said it better than me!

Old 09-19-2004, 04:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

I have been set straight and learned on this thread as well. I think I will try some cdi swaping with no other changes to see if I really can feel a difference. I know that I dont bump the rev limiter hardly at all anymore. not sure if thats due to the cdi or not.