CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Which CDI Box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which CDI Box?

chirochris,

The stock rev limit on the Baja, Baja X, and Viper Red models is 8000 RPM. The old yellow models are 7700 RPM. The valves begin to float on the stock motor at 8500 RPM. Is it worth it raising the stock rev limit? I guess that depends if you just want a little more rev limit on your stock motor, or if you have the right mods to go beyond 8500 RPM safely. If you motor is built, much depends on how your motor is built (cams, piston and valve springs). If the motor is built such that the biggest horsepower gain are at high revs, then a rev limit of 8900 (like some CDI boxes have) may not be enough. But you may also consider where the good power it at. If your motor's power curve starts to drop off after 8500 RPM, then another consideration might be to simply shift to the next gear and not move up into higher RPMs. There are overriding factors to that as well - Sometimes, you dont want to take the time to shift up; especially at the very finish of a race.

The best way to figure this out, is to post your riding style, and what motor mods you currently have (cams, piston and valve springs). Then, a many of us can tell you where your best power is found at what RPM range and how that affects your riding style.

Old 09-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which CDI Box?

Originally posted by: busmechanic
I have been set straight and learned on this thread as well. I think I will try some cdi swaping with no other changes to see if I really can feel a difference. I know that I dont bump the rev limiter hardly at all anymore. not sure if thats due to the cdi or not.
The Procom website states that it takes the stock rev-limiter to 8500 RPM. OregonDunePatrol wrote that the valves on a stocker begin to float @ 8500RPM.

Since I installed my HMF slip-on and re-jetted, I'm bump to the rev-limit very quickly. Prior to this simple mod, it took time for me to get there. Now, it's not a problem. The extra 500 RPM might just be just what I need to keep ripping through the gears.

My question, is it dangerous for stock motor to have a CDI with a CDI with an 8500 RPM rev-limiter?

Old 09-20-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Originally posted by: TheOz
Originally posted by: busmechanic
I have been set straight and learned on this thread as well. I think I will try some cdi swaping with no other changes to see if I really can feel a difference. I know that I dont bump the rev limiter hardly at all anymore. not sure if thats due to the cdi or not.
The Procom website states that it takes the stock rev-limiter to 8500 RPM. OregonDunePatrol wrote that the valves on a stocker begin to float @ 8500RPM.

Since I installed my HMF slip-on and re-jetted, I'm bump to the rev-limit very quickly. Prior to this simple mod, it took time for me to get there. Now, it's not a problem. The extra 500 RPM might just be just what I need to keep ripping through the gears.

My question, is it dangerous for stock motor to have a CDI with a CDI with an 8500 RPM rev-limiter?
Not likely dangerous at all. Even if you float the valves ever so slightly on the stock motor, at 8500 it wont be for very long. My experience with these valves is that they can take some abuse.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Which CDI Box?

FYI, my '05 DS650X has a 7300 RPM limit. Alot lower than previous years, and gets hit very often.

I have the MSD ignition, but have not installed it yet. The kit comes with mounting hardware to mount the box in the rear grab bar. Not sure I quite want to do that, so I am looking for other options.

When I spoke with Gary at TVI Power and Sports, he said to not set the limit higher than 8300 RPM since the valves (stock) with start to float at anything higher.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

7300 RPM? You either have a bad stock CDI or your tach is way off. The Baja X's rev limit is supposed to be 8000 RPM. Its also possible that your carb is mistuned and you think you are hitting the rev limit when actually you are either too lean or too rich.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Which CDI Box?

OOPS....

7900 RPM as stated in the owners manual. I could have sworn it said 7300 RPM some where on the machine. I will have to check the seat again.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

ok

Old 09-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
chirochris,

The stock rev limit on the Baja, Baja X, and Viper Red models is 8000 RPM. The old yellow models are 7700 RPM. The valves begin to float on the stock motor at 8500 RPM. Is it worth it raising the stock rev limit? I guess that depends if you just want a little more rev limit on your stock motor, or if you have the right mods to go beyond 8500 RPM safely. If you motor is built, much depends on how your motor is built (cams, piston and valve springs). If the motor is built such that the biggest horsepower gain are at high revs, then a rev limit of 8900 (like some CDI boxes have) may not be enough. But you may also consider where the good power it at. If your motor's power curve starts to drop off after 8500 RPM, then another consideration might be to simply shift to the next gear and not move up into higher RPMs. There are overriding factors to that as well - Sometimes, you dont want to take the time to shift up; especially at the very finish of a race.

The best way to figure this out, is to post your riding style, and what motor mods you currently have (cams, piston and valve springs). Then, a many of us can tell you where your best power is found at what RPM range and how that affects your riding style.
Now that was well said (but the new rev limit is 7900rpm). Guys, I don't think Marky was guaranteeing that the valves would float AT 8500rpm. I've not seen that happen, but IMO it is getting dangerous above 8500rpm on stock springs.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Randall,

I have seen the valves start to float at 8500 rpm - with my stock 2000 DS650 back before I upgraded it. While I am not, as you say "guaranteeing" that they will float for every stock motor, certainly I would like to be on the cautious side of this. If you would like to "Guarantee" that they will not float, then you have my blessing. The motor is tough, and so are the valves. As I mentioned, I doubt much serious damage would occur if you went a little past 8500 RPM. But, I have more too loose by giving bad advice than others.

Please, give your opinion, they are welcome.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which CDI Box?

Oregon,

my current mods are mod cap, K&N with pre filter and 175 main jetting.

thats it for now, but i am getting a ported intake and if this all works out a cdi maybe.

trying to look as stock as possible, plus i ride mostly trails and fields so i dont know

what else would make sense, i am already the fastest bike of the group by far...

let me know what you think