CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Carb/Jet Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb/Jet Questions....

I recently bought a 2000 DS650. It has a Big Gun full system and the guy said that it had been jetted. It is way too loud for me and it backfires like crazy, and it leaks by the head. I bought a stock exhaust that I'm going to put on and I'm going to have to rejet the carb back to stock. My question is there an obvious difference in the jets/needles once I do open up the carb? FYI, I have never opened a carb, so the most simple explained answers would help me out a lot. I want to do this myself, I want to learn how to do most of my own maintenance.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

yes there is a obvius difference. the needle is under the top cover with the 2 screws. the jets are in the bottom bowl. the main jet is the one with the sleeve around it. I cant remember what the factory needle is set at. the stock main jet should be a 165. under the top cover will be a spring. take it out there is a slide with a rubber diaphram around it. it all comes out as one peice. you will see the needle when you get it out. be very careful when removing the needle. there are spacers and a very small spring under the retainer cap. if you drop it. you probably wont find it. there is a c-clip on the needle in a groove.moveing the clip into different grooves is how you adjust the needle. but , like I said I cant remember wich groove is stock. some body else will shortly

Old 09-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

I am almost positive the 4th groove is stock

Old 09-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

Now once I pull all this apart, will the jet have what size it is on it somewhere? Do I need to change the jet?

Old 09-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

it should have the size on the top edge. a little hard to see the numbers sometimes.if you put the stock exhaust on you probably should rejet. use a flat blade screw driver that just fits inside the sleeve of the main jet. also if the bottom bowl still has phillips head screws in it. they could be a little hard to get out. I would suggest useing stainless allen heads to replace them. it will make it simple to do in the future.it will allow you to rejet with the carb on the bike.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the info!