CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

PPD airbox - install pictures...etc. YOU NEED ONE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPD airbox - install pictures...etc. YOU NEED ONE!

LOL....

You need one is right!!
They make your bomb look 200% better. IMHO.

I just did another PPD airbox on my buddies DS, the airbox been in my garage for quite some time. I just now cut the frame and cleaned it up to re-install. On my personal site... there should be some pictures up of the actual install by the end of the day. Watch for them!!! I took pictures of the tools I used, the cuts in the frame, the removed carcass, the grinding that had to be done, and the painted portions where the frame was cut. To cut and paint the sub frame it took about ... uhh, 30minutes. And that's stopping for a drink of Cold Pepsi. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Removing the subframe is another story... and the reinstalling it too. Once I do the re-install... I'll take more pictures and place them on the web for all to see. It's worth it!!!

If you want to see mine installed...
The direct link to my DS page is - http://www.johnnyairtime.org/project-DS650.html

Or you can go through the front door to my site at - http://www.JohnnyAirtime.NET

Peace out brutha DSers!!!

GLAMIS bound on Oct. 20th all the way till the 31st!!!! WOOOoooo Hooooo!

Old 09-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Ok folks...

My site is updating as I type...
Here's the links to it all;

Front door to site - http://www.johnnyairtime.net

DS 650 page - http://www.johnnyairtime.org/project-DS650.html

PPD Airbox install - http://www.johnnyairtime.org/project-DS650-airbox.html

If it doesn't work right this second... give it some time. Like... 20min or so.

Check it!
Peace out!

Old 09-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

thanks Jonny, I'm diggin it man, and gonna be doing it soon, just inquired about it a few days ago, talk about response!
Thanks!

Old 09-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

looks nice, if it were me i'd cut the resivoir mount off the battery box and weld it back on the subframe, how much are those? btw they don't look that hard to make [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lilnotts
looks nice, if it were me i'd cut the resivoir mount off the battery box and weld it back on the subframe, how much are those? btw they don't look that hard to make [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Applying the stock reservoir mount back onto the subframe is a piece of cake, however I don't think it's needed.
If you did remount it, it'd take a small chunk of tubing and to weld it back onto the subframe. It might make it look a tad cleaner.

But, the reservoir can clamp right back onto the subframe, as the stock mount is only a 1/10th slice of tubing that the reservoir sits against with hose clamps. Why not buy a mount that's made out of billet aluminum if your concern is asthetics?!?!

Hmmm... I might just do that as I also need a more solid mount for my front Works Shock reservoirs. It just gets kinda pricey.

About making that airbox itself...
Have at it!!! It's not easy. Being a welder by hobby... I'd never attempt it, not for the $199 they charge.
As an example, it tapers inward on the sides from the rear, it tapers upward on the bottom from the rear, and from top to bottom it also tapers to smaller as you get to the bottom.... Quite a perfect fit too I might add. Pictures do it no justice to show those angles.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Johnnyairtime
Have at it!!! It's not easy. Being a welder by hobby... I'd never attempt it, not for the $199 they charge.
As an example, it tapers inward on the sides from the rear, it tapers upward on the bottom from the rear, and from top to bottom it also tapers to smaller as you get to the bottom.... Quite a perfect fit too I might add. Pictures do it no justice to show those angles.
oh, lol, maybe it isn't as easy as it looks,

Old 09-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Do you have the paint code handy? I have been looking for paint to match the stock frame for some time now. Thanks

Old 09-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've considered using the old battery mount area for NOS bottle mount. but when the bottle is off, it'd look like crap I'm guessing...

Johnny you need to redo the links - you have http twice...

Old 09-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Camds650
Do you have the paint code handy? I have been looking for paint to match the stock frame for some time now. Thanks
I don't think so.
I just took my cut off battery box to the local auto-paint shop...for them to match it. They sold me a pint, and put it into rattle cans. It matches pretty good, but not perfect. I think they put too much flake in it. If I blend it you can't even tell, but if it's a stop/start paint line... then it stands out like a sore thumb. Scratches or boot wear marks would have to be touched up carefully to not show a newly painted area.

I also used the color to paint where I had to weld on my Hella HID light mount. You can't even tell that I added the steel as it's the same diameter tubing as the stock frame.... and the color too is good enough. Especially with it being somewhat covered with plastics and other items.

Good luck, I'll look to see if the paint "code" was given to me anyway to see if that helps.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lilnotts
Originally posted by: Johnnyairtime
oh, lol, maybe it isn't as easy as it looks,
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: PPD airbox - install pictures...etc. YOU NEED ONE!