CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander Exhaust Plug?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander Exhaust Plug?

OK, I read here how hard to impossible it is to get this plug out. Well since my Outlander is fairly new (25 hrs) figured I'd give it a try now before the heat seales the plug. I sprayed the plug with some lubricant and let it sit for a few minutes and worked it with a wrench, actually came out fairly easy. I'm thinking the more it is ridden before being taken out the harder it will be so maybe if any of you new Outlander owners take it out now it might be easier in the future.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, so this might sound dumb but what plug and where do I remove it from and what will it do when I remove it?
Go faster I hope![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

think he means the baffle type thing to let it flow better??????????

Old 10-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

What do I need to do, to get to this baffle type thing to let it flow better?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2004, 02:20 AM
Range Rover

Mike, my new Outlander has less than 5 hours on it at this time. How much louder is yours with the plug out? Could you tell any performance gain? I will likely remove the plug on mine right after the first break-in service. Have you found/tried any mods? Let us know something, please.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

i dont no what this plug thing is somone on here must im just guessing the spark arrestor baffle thing but i have no clue.. i dont have a outlander

Old 10-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry for the confusion. Yes the plug on the muffler that some on another site said they had a lot of problems removing. It's supposed to be removed every so often and ran to blow out any soot left in the muffler and some owners reported that it was very difficult to remove and one owner broke his off and was told he had to get an entire new muffler. Apparently the plug is made from a different metal(brass?) then the muffler and after extended use tends to bond with the muffler. I went ahead and pulled mine out and lubed it so if I need to do so in the future it shouldn't be a problem. I haven't run it without the plug but from what I've read the build up is more common in two strokes then four strokes so even if you never check it you probably won't miss anything. For the Outlander owners, it's impossible to miss, just a plug under the muffler.

Anyone know if it's ok to run without a plug??

Old 10-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Range Rover

Mike, I don't think it would do serious harm to run with the plug removed. Shortly before I traded the Sportsman for the Outlander, I removed the plug from the Sportsman's stock muffler. I was a bit surprized to see a small bit of fiberglass fall out, can't understand why any manufacturer would put fiberglass packing in a NON-REPACKABLE muffler. I didn't ride it with the plug removed, but did start it & let it warm up, then revved it a bit to see if more of the packing would blow out - it didn't. I think riding with the plug removed would give SLIGHTLY better exhaust flow ( a little less restriction) and a little higher db level, but wouldn't be legal where spark arrestors are mandatory. It's a shame the Outlander hasn't yet caught the attention of the aftermarket [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. Searching these forums, the only bolt-on mods I've seen mentioned are an Erlandson clutch kit & more recently that K&N had added an air filter for the Outlander. I hope to try both of these mods before next summer & that one or more of the pipe manufacturers will develop a more powerful yet quiet exhaust for these fine machines. Maybe it's time for Outy owners to start calling/emailing aftermarket companies so they know the interest (and market) is out here waiting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe it's time for Outy owners to start calling/emailing aftermarket companies so they know the interest (and market) is out here waiting >>>>>>

Honestly, can you really notice a difference with a K&N filter? My buddy put one on his dirtbike and can't really tell any difference.

I'm still trying to get someone to tell my why I can't put the 400 piston in my 330. One dealer said the engines had different cams and crank shafts which I don't believe. It wouldn't make sense or be even cost effective to make two different sets of parts. The only difference is the 400 has a 3 mm longer stroke, same exact bore.