CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Tests point me toward a new DS...hmm...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tests point me toward a new DS...hmm...

well a couple weeks ago i was thinking i wanted anything BUT a ds....

was looking at a cannondale, a predator, and the 450r. (had already shot down the yfz)

i just got back from the badlands and got to ride all 3... i was mainly leading toward the predator, and it was the most uncomfortable/ under-powered of them all. (i know polaris addressed the seat/bars for 05, as i sat on one and it felt better) but the seat is still an awkward shape and i spent more time focused on how i was hanging onto the thing then to actually riding. (but i did notice up the same hill my ds revs out of 3rd and i can barely pull 4th with my big fat 56 lb realtor tires, this quad with open exhaust couldnt even pull 3rd....

i know everyone says they do pretty well with flat out drags against 450rs/yfz/ds (a bit behind them but not by a lot) but the torque just wasnt there...

the cannondale... its a decent machine i just dont want the risk of a blown motor..

and the 450r, well it felt pretty nice but first gear, even with his one tooth down on the CT was still WAY tall (was feathering the clutch a lot)i dragged him before we switched quads and this guys was one tooth down and only mods were suspension, and he hung right with me. I do think my tires gave me the better traction for a holeshot, but past 3rd, the drag of the extra weight just didnt help much.

i was about to sell my ds just last week but decided to hold off to hopefully see what the plans are for the new quads: zuki 450 (still supposed to come out as on 05 right?) big bore honda (dont know if this was just a rumor or not....but would be a good match for a ds rider) and then ive heard a few other "rumored" quads....

but now that i look at it, with the viper DS base price being only 5999... and assuming i could get it out the door for say 5600 would allow me to maybe spend some money lightening it, and putting a few ponies in it. (maybe stage two...) my biggest complaint about my ds (besides the fact its a lemon and has all these problems) is the weight... its not bad at all on the trails/dunes or wherever, but its such a pain to load and unload from the trailor. i put quite a bit of weight on mine...so i thought if i got the lightened version (viper) shaved maybe 10 more lbs of various crap, lightened up the driveline a bit more, i could have a lighter ds with even more power than i have now (which of course is mandatory [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

anyway just wanted to let you guys know my current position in my quad purchasing. (if i do get another, it BETTER not have problems lol)

are the 05's still running ok? no mass flaws/issues with them? i dont really think they are too many issues with the ds at all, as ive seen and ridden so many of them, but mine just seems to have just about every one)

for those of you who have 05's what did you get them for OTD in your area? just wondering if they are going much below msrp in your part of the country.

Thanks guys

Old 10-11-2004, 01:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That sounds like a nice plan. The whole lightened machine idea sounds cool as well. I like to think that some day I'll spend the time to lighten my 2001 DS a little here and there. If you are going to do lightening though, do the drivetrain first - you'll see more change in power that way. (You don't GAIN power, you just spend less putting it to the ground so more goes to the ground!)

If you really want to see how you do lightening the machine, find a way to get it weighed with all fluids full (gas, etc.) then you can do some lightening and weigh it again later to see how much you've done total. Although if you aren't going to go crazy with weight loss the idea of actually getting the machine weighed might be going a little far (unless you can get easy access to a scale that it'll fit on.)

I'm sure you have already thought of this, but when you restore your current DS to 'stock' it will sell for more, and then you will have all of your mods for your new machine - which is a really nice thing.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

well ive gotten a stock cdi.... the intake i got on this second motor is also ported (although not my mr hp im sure, so id swap that) pipe i guess i could get around to doing. filter i still have...clutch springs...well they are staying... (not worth the 10 bucks to pop the cover and maybe have to spend that 10 on a gasket) i could then retain my extra tires/rims probably polish up that hmf and get it repacked.. hmm ive got that 100 dollar pro armor skid i could yank... and some other small various stuff....

that is a good point.... that way all i would have to buy is cams/piston and carb and id be rockin pretty hard [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ya i really liked the orange plastic...so id probably swap it out once its new (could probably get at least 100...for a full set of brand new plastic on ebay)
probably get a new bumper (the plastic crap on the regular ds just rubs me the wrong way for some reason....so would prolly find a stock baja bumper to slap on.

ya i think if i did lightening it would be 75% or more drivetrain... dont know if i want to go 520 or not, sounds like a lot of people break them/stretch them too easily. then there is TI gears, and well again i dont want to replace them quickly. are the hubs on the newer ones milled down? (i looked at them and it seemed like they were thinner than the older ones, and i know the sprocket hub is already the 1-2 lbs lighter than normal) would probably have to get some buffed haulers and just run the stock ohtsus for trails (dosnt get much lighter than an ohtsu)

its all sounding good, im just so afraid ill get another lemon! (this one seems like its fine now...im just at the frame of mind i deserve a new one lol)

Old 10-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you are aprehensive about the whole lemon thing, you could always look to buy something used from a forum member who you know hasn't had much trouble with the machine.

I heard the newer ones are a little lighter in areas but I'm sure you could still get them milled down & save a good amount of weight. The whole 520 deal never seemed worth it to me, I think Mr. HP opted for a non O-Ring chain to save a similar amount of weight. I never knew there was a difference, but then I never asked the question.

I agree about the bumper - I bought a used stock Baja bumper for my 2001 I was amazed at the difference in weight! It was at least a couple of pounds.

As far as the plastic goes - I would bet the brand new red plastic would look better and better the longer you own it. I like the good 'ol Orange plastic as well, but the Red ones are quite nice.

I ended up buying a second DS for very similar reasons, since I already had one, it would be so easy to work on both of them since I would end up 'learning' how to do the procedure on the first ATV, then the second one would take no time flat. For you it'll be just as easy since you wont be learning anything new.

Old 10-11-2004, 02:56 AM
Range Rover

Hey Roost, i have an 05' Viper and mine has been working great so far. I've done a few small things, but nothing real serious yet. My tires made the biggest difference so far. The motor is a little noisy, compared to my other bikes i've had, but no big deal, MrHp said this was a normal condition. You are right about the weight, i trail ride and hill climb mostly. That thing will kick yo' azz on a good 8hr day in the woods! Better bring the Gatorade, lol.