CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Glamis Banditos'

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glamis Banditos'

I was thinking of taking my family, and some friends that have quads, to Glamis for the week of Thanksgiving. We were at Sand Mountain this last weekend and some of the people there were talking about Glamis and how bad it was. They spoke of trenches dug to cause you to wreck. Packs of banditos that would call you over for help and then mug you and take your quad. The same gangs were visiting camps early in the morning and stealing anything that wasn't bolted down.
I took the stories with a grain of salt, but my granddaughter and nieces and nephews will be there and I thought I would post this and see what experiences you all have had. We were thinking of camping somewhere in the washes, or possibly garbage flats by the store. Anybody want to help me out?

Old 11-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glamis Banditos'

Cardiac, the sad truth is that it HAS HAPPENED as in past tense. This is not the norm and shouldnt keep you from having a good time. The key is where you strike you camp. This can make the differerence between a nerve racking weekend and a great time ... IMO....Those things did happen at one time and of course it was sensationalized by the media. The thing about Glamis is that the big hills are reachable by truck for the punks and Pu**ys from the city that dont even have a sand toy, but come there to party and raise hell. No True dune fan is going to steal from another camp or dig ditches to watch people crash for there amusment, thats only the work of city punks.
I personnaly only do Glamis on a off weekend or a day trip on the big weekends ( Ill be there the day after T-Giving for a day trip this year)
There is great camping in some of the washes but On T-Giving they will all be busy. Some other people should be able to give you some good info on some of the less rowdy areas. The bottttom line is stay far fom the hills and the main area " the dust bowl / Venders Row area". Make the trek and view the sight cuz it is trully amazing. Watching the guys jump the gap at Oldsmobile Hill ( did I spell that right ?) is a hoot ! See the masive crowds! People for the most part are cool! Just Do it !!

Old 11-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default Glamis Banditos'

Thanks for the post. Anyone else have any infromation to help me out?

Old 11-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default Glamis Banditos'

i would say that roadrunner at the end of geko rd would be the most remote place to camp out of the dusty washes and from my short 3yrs of experiance i have never seen any or heard of the ditch digging or stealling of quads. i dont know anyone that would be riding out by themselves anyway.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Glamis Banditos'

Cardic just look up with some and camp in a group. Lock down your quads and gas cans at night and due not leave cooler’s and chairs out. I leave an old gas can half full of gas with some sugar in it out and relive myself in a Tequila bottle and leave it out too. The ditches are closed down by the Ranger’s as soon as an idiot digs one.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glamis Banditos'

I've been going to Glamis for years, and have never had anything taken from my camp. We've camped all over the place too. I was there a few Halloweens ago, and saw for myself the trench digging, the fires, fights, etc. I haven't seen anything even close to that since. I would say go on an off weekend, and the place will be fantastic.
J.

Old 11-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glamis Banditos'

Thanks for the posts. We are going to go, and will use your suggestions. There will be 3 Toyhaulers in our group and I have 2 big dogs that are going. I think we will have a good time.

Old 11-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Glamis Banditos'

Originally posted by: BillDS650
I leave an old gas can half full of gas with some sugar in it out and relive myself in a Tequila bottle and leave it out too.
That's to funny. Anyone ever take those items? The look on the fools face as he swallows down the teq, er, uh, wee wee. Priceless. LMAO

Old 11-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Glamis Banditos'

Originally posted by: Cardiac
We were thinking of camping somewhere in the washes, or possibly garbage flats by the store. Anybody want to help me out?
Cardiac - If you go to the washes try numbers in the mid teens (12-16 or higher) you'll see a dropoff in number of trailers and the amount of dust. It amazing to see the dust caked on the trucks parked in the low numbered washes as you're leaving on Sunday. It not as bad as where I'm talking. It's worth the extra drive IMO. If you have kids riding it's a little easier on the nerves too.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glamis Banditos'

Thats good advice Dryheat... If you camp out by the Garbage flats / or the store ( thats assuming you could even find a spot there ) It will be non stop traffic and noise 24/7 , not a good place to camp at all. Besides, thats right on the main road in too.

I would do like previously suggested and try to find camp in the washes like Dry heat said.

Quick Reply: Glamis Banditos'