CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 01:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 won't start!

rode my DS the other day, not even fast, just riding around in a friends pasture checkin the cattle and playin on some nice little jumps, but then it died when i was pulling back up to his house. it was late so i didnt have a whole lot of time to play with it, but its trying to start, but not cranking up. plenty of gas, i did notice when i played with the air filter it almost fired up, but never would. is there anyway that my air filter was just too dirty or anythign like that? i have a K&N with prefilter but i havent put it on yet. any idea's on what my problem is? thanx in advance, Chad

Old 11-09-2004, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

It might be hungry for air. Might be bad spark. Might be a lot of things. How long has it been sitting? Try changing the air filter and see where that gets you. Make sure the choke is all the way off. If it has been sitting a long period of time, check for gum in the carb, maybe change the gas, and all the other good stuff. With what you have told us thats all I can think of for now.

Hope this helps

Old 11-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Combustion = Air + Fuel + Compression + Spark

Since it died on you while you were riding it there is a very slim chance it is air. More likely it is spark or something electrical. Could be fuel or compression too.

Electrical / Spark
1. Check fuses
2. Pull a plug and try turning it over. . . do you see a spark?

Fuel:
1. The stupid question - did you run out? Try reserve?
2. Loosen your gas cap. If it starts with the gas cap off you have a tank venting line pinched.

Compression:
1. You really need some equipment to check this. Does your engine turn over "too easily", put your hand over the exhaust - is it pumping out AND pulling in?
2. Have you put an aftermarket cam on but, kept the stock valve springs?

Old 11-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

thanx for the replies, i havent had time today to run out to where its at and check everything, so im not sure, i do know it had gas. it had sat for a week, maybe 1 and 1/2. but thanx for the replies and i will let you guys know how all the test work out. thanx again. Chad

Old 11-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

Mine did the same thing a week ago. It ended up being the vent line to te tank was pinched and creating a vacuum on tank.
Pulled line out and started and ran fine. Don't know why bomb doesn't use a vented cap.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Now not to try and scare anybody here, but something just came to mind.

The same thing happened to by buddy a couple months back. He rode his DS just like normal all day, and as we were pulling up at the house, his quad died. We couldn't figure it out just like this case, but as Duneme had mentioned, the exhaust was sucking hard as well as blowing when we cranked it. We did a compression test, and got 0. So this led us to only do one thing.... we tore into the motor. We got the head off, and the top of the head was all beat up and whatnot, as was the piston. It turns out that the rings had siezed, broke off, and hammered the piston, head, and scored the cylinder wall. His oil level was fine, it never over heated, fresh oil as usual, there were no reasons why this would have happened that we can think of. Nor were there any symptoms leading up to it stalling. If I remember correctly, maybe it didn't even stall.... He might have shut it off and it wouldn't start again. I can't remember correctly.

But as I said, I don't mean to scare anybody, but this is a possible problem. Hopefully it's just the pinched off vent line like they have said. If it is the vent line, you can check by taking off the gas cap, and if it makes a woosh sound (vaccuum) then thats what it is. It's letting air back into the tank, thus fixing the "air lock". But for some reason I doubt thats what your problem is.

Good luck and get back to us when you find out.