CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

04 Baja X wont rev above 3k RPM...Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Baja X wont rev above 3k RPM...Help!!

It could be a bad recifier.... When mine went out I could not go 2-3k and then it would cut out severly... What happens is the rectifier OVER-charges the system,and the CDI cuts the ignition as a safe guard. You can actually turn your head-light on,and the quad will run fine,cause the Headlights are using up the extra amps/watts. So try that.

If that doesnt work, then open up the top of your carb, and make sure the ruber bladder around your needle does not have a tear in it. This will also not let your motor rev.

good luck.

Bigger.

Old 11-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

my motor did this one time and it was my main jet that had a rock in it... i didn't even saw trought the jet!

a godd carb cleaning and fresh gas should help it alot[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

So far no luck, let it run this morning for 5-10 minutes on high idle and was able to slowley rev it to 4500 but then it would sputter and cut out. tried the thing with turning all the lights but no go. I'm begining
to think old fuel and gumed up carb is the problem. Havnt taken apart the carb on this yet, but hope it
isnt any more difficult than my harley. I'm thinking I'll clean out the carb drain the fuel and start fresh,
wish me luck, and thanks for all your input, I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Droped the float bowl and pulled each of the jets and blew them out and presto magico I'm back in business. Not sure why? Each of the jets apeared to be fine, oh well I'll take it and ride.

THANKS for everyones help and input!

Old 11-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Im guessing it sat long enough to build up some varnish inm the jet orifice. I would say you should do the same thing to your Raptor. It's likly the problem with that one as well. I think i would go ahead and put fresh fuel in both of them.

Old 11-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Eagle,
You are definatlly in the know, How did you know I have a raptor also? I wish it was as easy a procedure on the raptor, but it's looking like I've got to pull the carb to do this on the raptor..grrrrrr!!!
What were they thinking thinking when they put that thing together!!!!! Would have bought 2 bombs but the wife liked the way the black raptor special edition looked like and you know what they say.....
and for those of you who dont you should consider living by this " HAPPY WIFE= HAPPY LIFE" and afterall it works great when I want to take one of my buddys riding.

Old 11-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

LOL...well actually I also own more than one quad so I check the other forums as well. My Brother has 2 Raptors and Many of the friends I ride with here on the forums ride perty much every model out there.
I saw your post in the rappy forum on the similar problem with your raptor. In fact my bro posted a response to your woes on the raptor also.